Sasha Sokol in 2007.
|Birth name||Sasha Marianne Sökol-Cuillery|
|Born||17 June 1970|
|Origin||Mexico City, Mexico|
Latin pop |
|Labels||Fonovisa Records, Sony Music Entertainment, V2 Records, OCESA Seitrack|
When Sökol was still a toddler, her parents (Michael "Happy" Sökol and Magdalena Cuillery) divorced and her mother married Fernando Diez Barroso, an executive at Televisa. As a child, she was known as Sasha Diez Barroso, but now goes by her paternal name, Sökol. She studied at the Colegio Peterson and later at the Centro de Educación Artística (CEA) of Televisa. At that time, the music and television producer Luis de Llano Macedo was seeking to create a Mexican version of the band Parchís, and Sökol held castings at the CEA.
Sökol has one brother named Michel Sokol Cuilleri and two sisters, Alexandra and Ximena Diez Barroso.
Sökol was selected as one of the original seven members and that is how she started her singing career in 1982. Sökol recorded seven albums with Timbiriche, which earned 25 gold albums and ten platinum albums. Timbiriche earned awards from El Heraldo and the TVyNovelas Awards. In 1984, with Timbiriche, Sökol participated in Vaselina as Sandy, the Spanish-language version of Grease. In 1986, she left Timbiriche and moved to Boston, Massachusetts, U.S. to continue her acting studies.
In 1986, Sökol enrolled at the Walnut Hill School for the Performing Arts. The following year, she released her first solo album, Sasha, which sold over a million copies in Mexico, making it one of Mexico's best-selling albums in 1987. Her first single was "No Me Extraña Nada", which was released with a music video. She was nicknamed "La Dama de Negro" (The Lady in Black) for her habit of dressing in said color. The biggest hit of the album was "Rueda Mi Mente", which peaked at number one on Mexican radio and remained there for several weeks. Sökol made her television solo debut in Siempre En Domingo, the biggest variety show in Ibero-America at the time.
In 1988, she released the maxi-single "Diamante", which was chosen as the theme song for the music magazine Eres. In 1988, she also launched a television career with the series Tres Generaciones (TV Show) (Three Generations), starring Carmen Montejo and Angélica María.
In 1989, she recorded a song titled "Detrás del Amor" for the compilation album Nos vamos de vacaciones, which also featured Alejandra Guzmán and Alix Bauer (another ex-Timbiriche). She released her second album, Trampas de luz, that year.
In 1990, she recorded the song "Amor amor" for the compilation album Juntos ayer y hoy, and the song "Noche de ronda" for the compilation album El estudio de Lara.
In 1991, Sökol released her third album, Siento, and appeared in the Mexican soap opera Alcanzar una estrella II. It was a tremendous hit and the musical group from the telenovela, called Muñecos de papel (Paper Dolls) which included Sökol, Ricky Martin, Bibi Gaytan and Angélica Rivera among others, released two soundtrack albums with music from the series. Muñecos de papel had such success that it went on a national tour throughout Mexico and was nominated as "Revelation of the Year" at the second annual awards show Premios Eres, and won the coveted honor.
In 1992, Sökol released her fourth solo album, Amor sin tiempo.
From the late 1980s to the early 1990s, Sökol was among the most popular singers in Mexico and Latin America. Her most successful album has been her first, Sasha (1987). At that time, she was considered the top female pop icon in Mexico and her style was imitated by hordes of teenagers throughout Mexico, and led to the release of her own jewellery line and a perfume labelled "Fama".
In 1993, Sökol put her career on hold and put herself in rehabilitation for cocaine addiction. Months later, she formally made statements to the Mexican media about her drug addiction and rehabilitation. She publicly apologized to her fans for her disappearance and for all the rumours that were brought forth while out of the spotlight.
In 1997, she returned to the music scene with an album titled 11:11, released by Sony Mexico. Right before she started a 1998 tour titled 11:11 acústico (11:11 Acoustic), which was to take place throughout Mexico and certain countries in Central and South America, but her international tour was cancelled because of her mother's hospitalization and eventual death.
In 2004, she returned once again to the music scene, after a long absence, with the album Por un amor. This album is distinct to her fans as it is not of the pop music genre, but one that belongs to the traditional Mexican music genre, rancheras.
In 2005, Sokol participated in the reality show Big Brother VIP and won the grand prize. Up to 2005, she had earned eleven gold albums, four platinum albums and one diamond album in her solo career.
In 2006, she recorded the song "No encuentro un momento pa' olvidar" with the Spanish singer Miguel Bosé.
In 2007, she joined the original founding members of Timbiriche (except Paulina Rubio because of an international solo tour) to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the group. In 2010, the same six founding members of Timbiriche went on tour again.
In 2010, Sökol returned to the pop music genre with her seventh pop album, and eighth album overall, Tiempo Amarillo.
In 2012, Sökol joined Erik Rubin and Benny Ibarra, fellow members of the pop group Timbiriche, and released Primera Fila: Sasha Benny Erik, a live album featuring their greatest hits as a musical trio called Sasha, Benny y Erik. The album includes three hits from each artist, three cover songs and one new track. The unique aspect of this live album is that they sing all 13 tracks together. At the end of 2013, the album Primera Fila: Sasha Benny Erik was officially recognized by AMPROFON as the second best-selling album in Mexico that year (after the album "Confidencias" by Alejandro Fernandez). In late 2014, Sasha, Benny y Erik will release their first studio album "Vuelta al Sol" and release "Esta Noche" as their first single.
- 1987: Sasha
- 1988: Diamante
- 1989: Trampas de Luz
- 1991: Siento
- 1992: Amor Sin Tiempo
- 1997: 11:11
- 2004: Por Un Amor
- 2010: Tiempo Amarillo
Sasha: singles (1987 - 1988)
- "No Me Extraña Nada"
- "Rueda Mi Mente"
- "La Leyenda"
- "Guerra Total"
Diamante: singles (1988)
Trampas de Luz: singles (1989 - 1990)
- "Algo de Mi"
- "Muevete a Mi Alrededor"
- "Amante Sin Amor"
- "Detras Del Amor (Nos Vamos De Vacaciones)"
Siento: singles (1991 - 1992)
- "Corriendo Peligro"
- "Todos Mis Caminos Van a Ti" (with Ricky Martin)
- "Justo en el Momento"
- "Tengo Miedo"
Sasha: singles (1992 - 1993)
- "Numero Uno"
- "Pica y Repica"
- "Piensame Sola"
11:11: singles (1997 - 1998)
- "Seras el Aire"
- "Ya No Te Extraño"
- "En la Ciudad"
- "Me Faltas Tu"
Por Un Amor: singles (2004)
- "Por Un Amor"
- "El Gustito"
- "La Cucaracha"
Tiempo Amarillo: singles (2010)
- "La Ultima Vez"
- "Luna de París"
- "Dulce Veneno"
- Combo de Exitos: Somos la Historia (2006)
- Solamente Sasha: Sus Exitos (2004)
- Lo Mejor de Sasha (2002)
- Cara a Cara (1997)
- No Me Extraña Nada: Linea de Oro (1995)
- Personalidad (1994)
- Sus Exitos (1991)
- La Coleccion (1990)
- Combo de Exitos: Somos la Historia (2006)
- Legado Musical (2005)
- Sus Exitos (2004)
- No Me Extraña Nada (Sasha "1987") (2003)
- 11:11 (2009)
- 11:11 (2001)
- Siento (2001)
- Sus Exitos (1999)
- Sus Exitos (1996)
- Personalidad (1995)
Various artists compilations
- Esta Navidad - Various Artists ("En el Portal de Belen") (1987)
- Estrellas de Navidad - Various Artists ("Adelante Adelante") (1988)
- Tambien Para Ti Es Navidad - Various Artists (1989)
- Nueva Navidad - Various Artists ("Adelante Adelante")
- Nos Vamos de Vacaciones - Various Artists ("Detras del Amor" ) (1989)
- Juntos Ayer y Hoy - Various Artists ("Amor Amor") (1990)
- El Estudio de Lara - Various Artists ("Noche de Ronda") (1990)
- Mexico: Voz y Sentimiento - Various Artists ("Tu Desvario")(1991)
- Feliz Navidad Te Desean - Various Artists ("Rodolfo el Reno de la Nariz Roja") (1991)
- Muñecos de Papel - Various Artists (1991)
- Boleros: Voz y Sentimiento - Various Artists ("Sorpresa") (1992)
- De Epoca: La Era de los 80's - Sasha, Timbiriche, Alejandra Guzman, Lucero, Flans ("Remix Medley: Con Todos Menos Conmigo / Las Mil y Una Noches / Eternamente Bella / Cuentame / Timido / Tu y Yo Somos Uno Mismo / Bazar / No Me Extraña Nada / Vete Con Ella / Me He Enamorado de Un Fan / Reina de Corazones / Corro, Vuelo, Me Acelero / Soy Un Desastre / No Controles / Besos de Ceniza") (1994)
- Navidad de las Estrellas - Various Artists ("Medley: Alegres Cantada / Se Feliz / Santa Claus de Noche Vendra - Sasha, Yuri, Alejandra Avalos, Susana Zabaleta") (1995)
- El Premio Mayor - Various Artists ("El Premio Mayor") (1996)
- Sony Dance Mix Vol. 3 - Various Artists ("Seras el Aire": Mijangos Club Edit) (1997)
- Vuelveme a Querer - Various Artists ("Noche de Ronda") (1998)
- Hey Tu - Aleks Syntek ("Te Quiero Asi" - Aleks Syntek with Sasha) (1990)
- Eres - Calo / Sasha ("Eres: Version Original" - Calo with Sasha) ("Eres: Techno Mix" - Calo with Sasha) (1991)
- Mixes y Remixes - Calo ("Eres: Techno Mix" - Calo with Sasha) (1992)
- Realidad - Fratta ("Las Flores - Fratta with Sasha) (1999)
- Basico 3 - Revolver ("Ay Amor" - Carlos Goñi with Sasha) (2006)
- Papito - Miguel Bosé ("No Encuentro Un Momento Pa´ Olvidar" Miguel Bosé with Sasha) (2007)
- 1982: Timbiriche
- 1982: La Banda Timbiriche
- 1983: En Concierto
- 1983: Disco Ruido
- 1983: Que No Acabe Navidad
- 1984: Vaselina
- 1985: Rock Show
With Reencuentro Timbiriche
- 1989: Timbiriche Clasico
- 1998: Timbiriche Clasico
- 1999: El Concierto
- 2007: Timbiriche 25
- 2007: Somos Timbiriche 25 en Vivo
- 2007: Timbiriche 25 Vivo en Vivo
With Muñecos de Papel
- Muñecos de Papel (Muñecos de Papel - Sasha, Ricky Martin, Angelica Rivera, Pedro Fernandez, Alex Ibarra) ("Siento") - Various Artists (1991)
- Alcanzar Una Estrella II ("No Quiero Dejar de Brillar" - Sasha, Ricky Martin, Bibi Gaytan, Erick Rubin, Angelica Rivera, Pedro Fernandez) - Various Artists (1991)
- "El Breve Espacio"
- "El Premio Mayor" (ballad version)
- "Ser Es Humano"
- "El Juego de la Gloria" (with Muñecos de Papel)
- "Tengo Miedo": radio remix (available on 12" promo) (1992)
- "Pica Y Repica": dance single (available on CD promo) (1993)
- "Pica Y Repica": dance mix (available on CD promo) (1993)
- "Sasha Mix": extended edit (available on CD promo) (2002)
- "La Cucaracha": Iguana mix (available on CD promo) (2004)
- Vaselina (Grease), as Sandy
- La Flauta Mágica, Narradora
- Ámbar (1994), as Angélica
- Una Historia Viva (short)
- Tres Generaciones (1988–1989), as Andrea
- Big Brother VIP México (2005), as herself
- Buscando a Timbiriche: La Nueva Banda (2007), as herself (jury)
- Cultura en Línea (2001-2002), as herself
- 1991: Alcanzar Una Estrella II as Jessica Lascurain
- 1999: La Vida en el Espejo as Gabriela Muñoz (lead actress)
- 2002: El País de las Mujeres as Ana (lead actress)
- 1995: El Premio Mayor as Rosario Dominguez (lead actress)
- ( SASHA SOKOL HISTORIA BIO MUSIC) "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZuoVynFIs 18 February 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2014
- Llewellyn, Howell (2004) "V2 Spain Does Not Limit Itself to 'Indie Sound'", Billboard, 6 March 2004. Retrieved 16 November 2013
- (SASHA, BENNY Y ERIK RECIBEN EL PREMIO EL DISCO MÁS VENDIDO DEL AÑO) "http://www.oyefm.com.mx/oye/quickys/sasha-benny-y-erik-reciben-el-premio-el-disco-m%C3%A1s-vendido-del-a%C3%B1o 10 December 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014
- (Top 20 Anual, Amprofon) http://www.amprofon.com.mx/top-anual.php Retrieved 22 October 2014