Trams in Sarajevo
|Locale||Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Number of lines||6|
|Number of stations||28|
|Operator(s)||KJKP GRAS Sarajevo|
|Number of vehicles||95|
|System length||22.9 km (14.2 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Old gauge||760 mm (2 ft 5 15⁄16 in) Bosnian gauge until 1960|
|Minimum radius of curvature||(?)|
The Sarajevo tram network is one of Europe's oldest, having originally served as the test line for Vienna's trams. As of 2010, the Sarajevo tram system consists of seven lines, primarily running along a single track route. The system is 22.9 kilometres (14.2 mi) long; this includes a 0.4 kilometres (0.25 mi)-long branch to the city's railway station (Željeznička Stanica). It primarily serves as an east-west link from the city centre district (Baščaršija) to the suburb Ilidža.
Opened on New Years Day in 1885, the Sarajevo tramway was the testing line for the tram in Vienna and the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and operated by horses. Originally built to 760 mm (2 ft 5 15⁄16 in) Bosnian gauge, the present system was upgraded to 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge in 1960. The trams played a pivotal role in the growth of the city in the 20th century.
During the Siege of Sarajevo in the mid 1990s, trackwork and numerous vehicles were badly damaged - these are once again operational though marks remain on some vehicles.
The route lies on the main boulevard of Sarajevo, which is named (from west to east) first Bulevar Meše Selimovića (formerly 6 Proleterske Brigade), from Vila Čengić then Zmaj od Bosne (formerly Vojvode Radomira Putnika). From the district Marijin Dvor it runs a loop in a counter-clockwise direction along the Miljacka river on the street called Obala Kulina bana (formerly: Obala Vojvode Stepe Stepanovića). It proceeds to the terminus Baščaršija. The route then turns back towards Marijin Dvor on the northern parallel road Maršala Tita.
Six routes are presently in operation on the system, often only a specific section of the track. Only route 3 operates the entire length.
- Route 1: Željeznička stanica – Baščaršija
- Route 2: Čengić Vila – Baščaršija
- Route 3: Ilidža – Baščaršija
- Route 4: Ilidža – Željeznička stanica
- Route 5: Nedžarići – Baščaršija
- Route 6: Ilidža – Skenderija
- Route 7: Nedžarići – Skenderija (currently not running)
In 1958, Sarajevo bought 50 relatively modern PCC-cars from Washington, renumbered in the 1-50 series. 21 more PCC-cars from Washington followed in 1962, numbered 51-71. These 71 PCC-cars were built between 1941 and 1944 by the St. Louis Car Company. Between 1967 and 1969, 20 of these streetcars were transformed into 10 articulated cars series 100-109.
The fleet in use on the network are Tatra K2 articulated trams from the Czech Republic, delivered in the 1970s and early 1980s. Later these trams have been joined by more modern vehicles in recent times. In 2008, Amsterdam donated 16 old trams to Sarajevo.
- Satra III
- Refurbished Tatra 3-carriage tram on display
- Former Amsterdam tram
- Satra II
- Tram #713, Line #4, March 12, 2012
- Tram #209, Line #3, March 16, 2012
- Ilidža tram terminus with #713 ready for departure to the Railroad Station
- Tram #501, Line #3, December 14, 2011
- Tram #291, Line #1, December 18, 2011
- Tram #505, Line #3, January 28, 2012
- Tram #802, Line #3, January 5, 2012
- Tram #277 leaving the tram depot, September 23, 2011
- Tram #231, Line #1, September 24, 2011
- Tram #710 Sarajevo (in 2010)
- Trams in Sarajevo map
- Trams in Sarajevo map
- The unofficial Sarajevo tram network map
City tram stations
|Sarajevo tram stops|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trams in Sarajevo.|
- Jan Čihák: Sarajevo Trams and Trolleybuses, ISBN 978-3-9503304-2-7, bahnmedien.at, Vienna/Austria