Santa Marina (Córdoba)
Santa Marina is a church in Córdoba, Spain. It is one of the so-called "Fernandinean Churches", edificated in the city after Ferdinand III of Castile conquered it from the Moors in the 13th century. The structure combines proto-Gothic, Mudéjar and, to a lesser degree, late-Romanesque elements.
The church, one of the oldest of the Fernandinean group, was built in the second half of the 13th century where previously a 7th-century Visigothic church and a Moorish mosque had existed. No trace of them remains today.
On 23 June 1880 the church suffered a fire, which required a restoration lasting two years. Other renovations were carried out in the 19th and 20th centuries, during which the medieval appearance of the building was restored, by removing the Baroque additions introduced after the damage from the 1680 and 1755 earthquakes.
The church has been a national monument since 1931.
The church has a rectangular, or basilica, plan, divided into a nave and two aisles, the nave being far higher than the latter. The aisles are separated from the nave by large pointed arches.
The facade is characterized by four large, asymmetrical buttresses, ending with pinnacles, and corresponding to the interior separation between nave and aisles. Also present are a main central rose window, smaller circular windows, and alfizes over the ogival arch of the main portal. The facade corresponding to the left aisle features a secondary portal, surmounted by a triangular arch.
The apses are polygonal. In the right aisle is the sacristy, built in the 15th century. The left aisle apse was adapted to house a Baroque chapel from 1630. The bell tower dates to the 16th century.
- Central nave and side arches
- Entrance of the Evangelio vault
- Main chapel and apse
- Perez Cano, María del Mar (1998). Estudio histórico-artístico de la Iglesia Parroquial de San Marina de Aguas Santas de Córdoba. Córdoba: Universidad de Córdoba and Cajasur.
Media related to Iglesia de Santa Marina (Córdoba) at Wikimedia Commons