Saliha Dilaşub Sultan
|Sâliha Dilaşub Sultan|
صالحہ دل آشوب سلطان
|Valide sultan of the Ottoman Empire|
|Tenure||8 November 1687- 4 December 1689|
|Predecessor||Turhan Hatice Sultan|
|Successor||Rabia Gülnuş Sultan|
4 December 1689|
Istanbul, Ottoman Empire
|Burial||Süleymaniye Mosque, Istanbul|
|House||House of Osman (by marriage)|
Her origin is unknown. According to some non academic authors, she was ethnic Serb, born as Katarina (Turkish: Katrin).. On 15 April 1642 she gave birth to her only son, Suleiman II, who the younger brother of Mehmed IV (reign 1648–87), son of her fellow consort Turhan Hatice Sultan.
In some of the Ottoman chronicles she is called Aşub, and was the first favourite of Sultan Ibrahim before Telli Hümaşah Sultan, this is exemplified bu the fact that Ibrahim's Haseki Sultans received all 1,000 aspers a day except for the second, Saliha Dilaşub Sultan who received 1,300 aspers a day. Saliha Dilaşub was described as a simple hearted woman of unruly character.
After the deposition and death of Sultan Ibrahim Saliha Dilaşub along with the her fellow consorts and other members of Ibrahim's entourage were sent to the old palace. She was hoping that the conflict between the first wife of Ibrahim, the Ukrainian Hatice Turhan, and the mother of the sultan Mahpeyker Kösem Sultan would change her fortune in that she became mother of the sultan herself. Kösem Sultan was planning to kill her daughter-in-law and dethrone her grandson Sultan Mehmed IV (1648-1687) with the help of some high officers in the yeniçeri corps, and to place Şehzade Suleiman, the son of Saliha Dilaşub, on the throne. However, a slave girl from the Harem warned Hatice Turhan who managed to strangle her mother-in-law with the help of the eunuchs in the Harem. This brought Saliha Dilaşub 39 years of imprisonment in the Old Palace. In 1687 Mehmed IV was deposed and the throne was overtaken by Suleiman II, the son of Sâliha Dilaşub and she became the next Valide sultan.
Her full title as Valide sultan was:
- Devletlu İsmetlu Mehd-i Ülya-i Saltanat-Seniyye Valide Saliha Dilaşub Sultân Aliyyetü'ş-Şan Hazretleri
In popular culture
In the 2010 film Mahpeyker: Kösem Sultan Saliha Dilaşub is portrayed by Turkish actress Gökcan Gökmen.
- Ottoman family tree
- List of the mothers of the Ottoman Sultans
- List of consorts of the Ottoman Sultans
- Alderson, A.D., The Structure of the Ottoman Dynasty, Oxford university press, 1956, Table XII p.83
- Günseli İnal; Semiramis Arşivi (2005). Semiramis: Sultan'ın gözünden şenlik. YKY. p. 27. ISBN 978-975-08-0928-6.
Siileyman'in annesi Sirp Katrin yani Dilasiip Hatun
- Ali Kemal Meram (1977). Padişah anaları: resimli belgesel tarih romanı. Öz Yayınları. p. 325.
- Lucienne Thys-Şenocak (2006). Ottoman Women Builders: The Architectural Patronage of Hadice Turhan Sultan. Ashgate. ISBN 978-0-754-63310-5.
Turhan Hatice Sultan
8 November 1687 - 4 December 1689
| Succeeded by|
Emetullah Râbi'a Gülnûş Sultan