Saints Peter and Paul's Church, Cork
|SS Peter & Paul's Church|
|Saints Peter and Paul's Church, Cork|
|Eaglais Naoimh Peadar agus Pól|
SS Peter & Paul's Church
|51°53′56″N 8°28′28″W / 51.898809°N 8.474461°WCoordinates: 51°53′56″N 8°28′28″W / 51.898809°N 8.474461°W|
|Location||St Peter and Paul Place, Cork|
|Dedication||Saint Peter and Saint Paul|
|Architect(s)||E. W. Pugin and George Ashlin|
|Groundbreaking||15 August 1859|
|Parish||SS Peter & Paul's|
|Archdiocese||Cashel and Emly|
|Diocese||Cork and Ross|
Peter and Paul's was built to replace Carey's Lane Chapel, a much smaller structure built in 1786. Under the guidance of Archdeacon John Murphy, a design competition was run in the 1850s and won by E. W. Pugin, son of Augustus Pugin. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1859 and the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866.
The church comprises a central nave with gable roof and two aisles. The walls are of red sandstone with limestone dressing. The aisles are at either side of the nave, which is covered with a gable roof. The ridge of the roof is decorated by ornamental ironwork, partly gilt, terminated at the western gable by an ornamental cross with foliated arms.
The grand altar is carved from 36 tons of Carrara marble. The pavements surrounding the altar, and the steps, are all of white Italian vein marble. The apse is decorated with blue and gold ceiling panels. The flooring of the church is in white and black marble.
- McCarthy, Kieran. "Making a City: St. Patrick's Street Heritage Trail". corkheritage.ie. Kieran McCarthy. Retrieved 17 November 2015.