Sacred Heart Cathedral (Gallup, New Mexico)
|Sacred Heart Cathedral|
The cathedral in 2013
|35°31′31″N 108°44′9.6396″W / 35.52528°N 108.736011000°W|
415 East Green Ave.|
Gallup, New Mexico
|Dedication||Sacred Heart of Jesus|
|Bishop(s)||Most Rev. James S. Wall|
|Rector||Rev. Matthew A. Keller|
The first Sacred Heart church was built by Father George Julliard in 1899. Part of the building collapsed in 1916 and a new structure on Hill Street between 4th and 5th Streets replaced it the following year. When the Diocese of Gallup was established in 1939, Sacred Heart Church became its cathedral. The present cathedral dates from 1955 and replaced the 1917 sanctuary at a cost of $500,000. Franciscan Friars served the parish until July 1, 1981 when the first diocesan priest, the Rev. Alfred Tachias, became pastor and cathedral rector.
Gallery of pictures
- The nave
- The choir
- Stained glass window
- The Crucifix
- "Diocese of Gallup - Our History". The Roman Catholic Diocese of Gallup. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "History". Sacred Heart Cathedral. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Sacred Heart Cathedral". GCatholic. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Diocese of Gallup". New Catholic Encyclopedia. 6. Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America. 1967.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sacred Heart Cathedral of Gallup.|