|Comune di Sabaudia|
Sabaudia Town Hall
Location of Sabaudia in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°18′N 13°01′E / 41.300°N 13.017°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Latina (LT)|
|Frazioni||Baia d'Argento, Bella Farnia, Borgo San Donato, Borgo Vodice, Cerasella, Mezzomonte, Molella, Sacramento, Sant'Andrea, Sant'Isidoro|
|• Mayor||Maurizio Lucci|
|• Total||144 km2 (56 sq mi)|
|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Population (9 October 2011)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||SS. Annunziata|
|Saint day||March 25|
An hour and a half to the south of Rome, Sabaudia is a coastal town. It is one of several towns built on the reclaimed marshland of the Pontine Marshes Agro Pontino. This marsh was drained under orders from Benito Mussolini. Vast tracts of malaria-infested swamp were drained by workers transported from poor areas of northern Italy, leaving the coastal area south of Rome with rich farmland. These towns were built so that the fascist regime could demonstrate the draining of the marshland, as well as provide housing communities for the increasing urban populations of Italy's large cities.
Architects Gino Cancellotti, Eugenio Montuori, Luigi Piccinato, and Alfredo Scalpelli were responsible for the town plan and many of the buildings after winning a competition for the design of Sabaudia, sponsored by Mussolini. Work commenced on the town's construction on 5 August 1933 and was completed 253 days later. The city itself is based a Roman grid road layout and rationalist architecture.
Twin towns / Sister cities
- Burdett, Richard (1982). Sabaudia: città nuova fascista. London: Architectural Association.
- Muratore, Giorgio; Daniela Carfagna; Mario Tieghi (1999). Sabaudia, 1934: il sogno di una città nuova e l'architettura razionalista. Sabaudia: A. Boschi.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sabaudia.|