SHY & DRS
|SHY & D.R.S|
|Birth name||Mark Scott and Darren Scott|
|Genres||Hip hop, rap rock, R&B|
Awe Records (2008 - 09)|
Guardian Angels Records/Universal (2011–2013) Unparallel Music Group/Unsigned The Orchard/Sony (2014-present)
Mark Scott (SHY)|
Darren Scott (D.R.S)
Mark James Scott and Darren Scott ; better known by their stage name SHY & D.R.S are Scottish rappers and songwriters who have achieved four Official Top 40 Chart hits independently making Scottish music history.
Born from humble beginnings in Torry, Aberdeen the twin brothers Mark (SHY) and Darren (D.R.S) were discovered by Midge Ure and Virgin Records ex head of A&R Ronnie Gurr in 2009 and are widely recognized as the pioneers of Scottish Hip Hop.
2011–2012: Signing and The Love Is Gone
SHY & D.R.S were signed to Record label Guardian Angels Records, a record label distributed by Fontana Universal and Sony ATV, a record label run by Sandi Thom and Nick Yeatman until 2013, when the label terminated. The debut single featuring Sandi Thom charted in the Official Chart at number 32. In an interview in October 2012, SHY & DRS revealed it was actually filmed in 2009 and the accompanying music video was based on the movie, Sin City. The music video was premiered VEVO on September 12, 2012. It premiered on Music Television on 21 September 2012 The single made it onto Scottish Radio DJ Jim Gellatly's "Scotland's Greatest Album" in December 2012
2012-2013: Relapse, I've Got (Enough Love) and Before Too Long
In July 2013, SHY & D.R.S released their debut studio album, Before Too Long, which features guest vocals from multi-platinum Singer songwriter Sandi Thom, Rock legends Nazareth, Eminem's band D12 and Daniel de Bourg. The album entered into the Top 20 iTunes Hip hop Chart and remained there for six consecutive weeks.
In 2013, they released single "I've Got (Enough Love)" accompanied with a music video to VEVO which featured rock legends Nazareth. The single was covered by Classic Rock magazine. They were also featured on Keenan Cahill's first single "Closer" in November 2014 which was shared by the likes of Ryan Seacrest, Family Guy star Seth Green & Austin Mahone and has amassed over half a million views combined worldwide.
SHY & DRS' second single featuring BBC Introducing artist Luke Bingham was a re-release of their viral hit "Relapse" in April 2013, with the video performed and sung by internet sensation Keenan Cahill and the release of the SHY & DRS brand Energy Drink by Nae Danger. The song entered the Scottish Singles Chart at number 40. Classic Rock magazine covered the collaboration
In August 2013, they released an animated music video onto VEVO which features rapper Bizarre from Eminem's multi-platinum selling band D-12 In July 2013 they released a charity track recorded with Northsound 1 Bauer radio presenters Greigsy & Aylissa which went straight into the Top 10 UK iTunes hip hop chart
2014 - present: Born Again
SHY & D.R.S featured on internet star Keenan Cahill's single "Closer" in 2014 which was premiered on Ryan Seacrest's Radio show and website. The song was performed live on German TV and American WGN-TV Channel
In February 2014, it was announced that they are leaving for the US with a new label deal with Sony and under new management
SHY & D.R.S formed their own independent label Unparallel Music Group and released "Born Again" featuring British trance singer Christina Novelli in August 2014. "Born Again" charted independently at number 26 in the Official Scottish Chart and at number 14 on the Music Week Indie Chart in its first week. The video was removed from YouTube for its controversial subject and scenes but was kept on VEVO. The video was later reissued on the YouTube Channel. The video received major TV airplay from 4Music, VIVA and Capital TV.
They performed "Born Again" and their first official Top 40 Single " The Love is Gone" live on BBC Radio Scotland Culture Show and interviewed by Janice Forsyth who dubbed them "Scottish HipHop's Most Exciting Export" revealing they were touring with Eminem's Band D12 in 2015.
On 13 November 2015 they released the single "Beautiful to Me' featuring X-Factor's Janet Devlin. The song was the Official Single for The UK's National Anti-Bullying Week and Charted at Number 25 on the Official Chart The Song raised money for Childline UK and UK anti-bullying charity Ditch The Label.
The single was banned from Radio 1 due to lyrical content. BBC Radio Scotland backed the single; namely via Ex-Loose woman presenter Kaye Adams.
Their 2015 video "What's Wrong With Us ?" is an introspective and insightful portrayal of today’s society which went viral achieving over 260,000 views in less than two weeks.
The pair are sponsored by Nae Danger energy drink based in Glasgow who are part owned by Scottish business mogul Duncan Bannatyne. In July 2013, Nae Danger released a "SHY & DRS" brand energy drink that features their image on the cans; giving a free download of their track "Relapse"
In early 2016 SHY & D.R.S announced a new sponsorship deal with UK clothing brand Fathersons Clothing and modelled for the label.
Also known as Mark and Darren Scott, they grew up in Torry Aberdeen and attended Aberdeen University. Darren graduated in 2008 with a First Class Honours Degree in Sociology and Mark graduated with a Masters Degree in Psychology. They began rapping in American accents but later changed to using a classic Scottish accent.
- 2006: The Unexpected
- 2008: Behind Closed Doors
- 2013: Before Too Long
- 2013: Read All About It EP
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012|| "The Love Is Gone"
(featuring Sandi Thom)
|139||—||32||Before Too Long|
(featuring Luke Bingham)
|188||—||40||Before Too Long and Behind Closed Doors|
| "I've Got (Enough Love)"
|—||—||57||Before Too Long|
|2014|| "Born Again"
(featuring Christina Novelli)
|2015|| "Beautiful to Me"
(featuring Janet Devlin)
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released.|
- Featured in
- 2013: "Closer" with Keenan Cahill featuring SHY & DRS (also Closer (The Remixes) EP released in 2014)
- "Music Legend Midge Ure Named As Director Of New Venture To Protect Artists' Rights | News". Beattiegroup.com. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Danny Law (2011-09-13). "Aberdeen rappers' latest hit covered by YouTube sensation | Aberdeen & North". News. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Guardian Angels Records Joins UMG as InGrooves Fontana's Newest Label". Music-Fanclub.net. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Singer Sandi Thom launches own UK and US label". Music Week. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Street North East | Interview with Scottish hip hop duo Shy & Drs". Streetnortheast.com. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "SHY & DRS - THE LOVE IS GONE ft. Sandi Thom". YouTube. 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Scotland's Greatest Album: 2012 « Amazing Radio". Amazingradio.com. 2013-01-02. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "SHY & FISHY - Before Too Long (Album Review)". Stereoboard. 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "SHY & DRS Feat. Nazareth - I've Got (Enough Love) (Single Review)". Stereoboard. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140407055904/http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/nazareth-deny-split-rumour/. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2016. Missing or empty
- "VIDEO: Nazareth push for chart success | News". Dunfermline Press. 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Animated Visuals: Shy & DRS | Bizarre (D-12) – Out My Face | CLP Nation | We Are The Nation". CLP Nation. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Greigsy and Aylissa on rap twins Shy and Drs and Aberdeen's Big Beach Ball - Greigsy and Aylissa". Daily Record. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Northsound 1's Greigsy and Aylissa write for The Aberdonian - Greigsy and Aylissa". Daily Record. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Keenan Cahill Creates Light Show in Electrifying 'Closer' Video". Ryan Seacrest. 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- STUDIO. "YouTube star Keenan Cahill talks dropping lip-syncing for new career move". Video.bostonherald.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Exclusive Interview With Youtube Celebrity Keenan Cahill on Brittany Lee's Blog - Buzznet". Brittanyhagerty.buzznet.com. 2013-09-05. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Smith, Laura (2014-02-16). "hip hop stars SHY and DRS hope to crack America after YouTube hit | STV". Aberdeen. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Video: Aberdeen rappers Shy & DRS eye move to US after single success - Local / News / Evening Express". Eveningexpress.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "The Sun". Thescottishsun.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Pease, Victoria (2014-08-11). "Rap duo SHY and DRS hit Scottish top 40 with single Born Again | STV". Aberdeen. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Hip hop hooray: Rappers make official top 40". The Scottish Sun. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "BBC Radio Scotland - The Culture Studio with Janice Forsyth, 04/09/2014". Bbc.co.uk. 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Official Scottish Singles Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Nae Danger Energy Drink's Photos - Nae Danger Energy Drink". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Original Energy". Nae-danger.co.uk. 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140107064537/http://shyanddrs.com/naedanger/. Archived from the original on January 7, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2016. Missing or empty
- "Introducing SHY & DRS; The Face Of Scottish Hip Pop | Fashion and Art Underground". Gutter Magazine. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "GSBF GOLDSIDE BLACKFOREST 1982 - GSBF - FRIENDS". Gside.de. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Peak positions for the singles in Scotland:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SHY & DRS.|