40°50′29″N 8°18′21″E / 40.84139°N 8.30583°E|
41°25′47″N 12°48′25″E / 41.42972°N 12.80694°E
|Passes through||Tyrrhenian Sea|
|Manufacturer of conductor/cable||Prysmian|
|Manufacturer of substations||ABB|
|Type of current||HVDC|
|Total length||435 km (270 mi)|
|Power rating||1000 MW|
|AC Voltage||400 kV|
|DC Voltage||500 kV|
|Number of poles||2|
SAPEI, is a high-voltage direct current power transmission system that connects Sardinia with the Italian mainland. The submarine cable from Fiume Santo to Latina runs at 1,600 metres (5,200 ft) below sea level in the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is the deepest submarine power cable in the world. The cable is owned and operated by Terna.
The project was launched in 2006. Scientific surveys and studies of the sea floor began soon after. The first submarine cable as also onshore cables was laid in 2008 and the first voltage tests were conducted. In 2009, the converter stations in Latina and Fiume Santo entered into operation. Laying of the second submarine cable was scheduled for the end of 2010. The submarine cable-laying activity was being carried out by the Giulio Verne, the largest cable-laying ship in the world. The cable was inaugurated on 17 March 2011.
The system consists of a 420 kilometres (260 mi) long submarine cable and 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) land cables. It has two poles, having a total capacity of 1,000 megawatt at 500 kV of voltage. The diameter of the submarine cable is 120 millimetres (4.7 in). It is connected to the alternating current grids through converter stations in Fiume Santo and Latina at 400 kV of voltage. The substation in Latina extends over a surface area of 35,000 square metres (380,000 sq ft), the one in Fiume Santo of 48,000 square metres (520,000 sq ft). The cable was manufactured by Prysmian and converter stations were manufactured by ABB. The project cost over €730 million.
- SACOI, the old HVDC link between Sardinia across Corsica to the Italian mainland.
- TERNA - The record cable SAPEI is the trail-blazer for the development of the Italian electricity grid
- "SA.PE.I./ L'elettrodotto da record che unisce l'Italia" [SA.PE.I. / The record electric line unites Italy] (in Italian). Affari Italiani. 2011-03-17. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "SAPEI HVDC link". ABB. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- "Prysmian Awarded Contract for Submarine Cable Between Sicily and Italian Mainland". Transmission & Distribution World. Penton Media, Inc. 2009-12-21. Retrieved 2010-12-24.