|The Royal Lancers|
|Active||2 May 2015 -|
|Part of||Royal Armoured Corps|
RHQ – Unknown|
Regiment – Catterick
|Motto(s)||Death or Glory|
|Colonel-in-Chief||HM The Queen|
|Tactical Recognition Flash|
Prince of Wales's feathers|
from 9th/12th Royal Lancers
The Royal Lancers is a cavalry regiment of the British Army. The regiment was formed by an amalgamation of The Queen's Royal Lancers and 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's) on 2 May 2015. It serves as the Formation Reconnaissance Regiment of the 12th Armoured Infantry Brigade.
The regiment was formed by an amalgamation of The Queen's Royal Lancers and 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's) on 2 May 2015. The amalgamation was announced in July 2012, and the regiment was formed with an amalgamation parade before the Colonel-in-Chief HM The Queen at Richmond Castle on 2 May 2015.
The regiment is an Armoured Cavalry Regiment, equipped with the CVR(T) family. This will be replaced by the Scout Specialist Vehicle from 2015. It will consist of 3 Sabre Squadrons of 16 vehicles each and one Command and Support Squadron. These will be the Scimitar 2 vehicles and later the SCOUT SV.
Order of precedence
The regiment retains order of precedence from the more senior antecedent regiment, the 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's).
The Queen's Royal Hussars
(The Queen's Own and Royal Irish)
|Cavalry Order of Precedence|| Succeeded by|
King's Royal Hussars
The Royal Lancers is now the last regiment in the British Army to retain the title of "lancers". It has directly or indirectly inherited the traditions of the six British lancer regiments that were in existence until a series of amalgamations began in 1922.
- Canada - Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians)
- Pakistan - 12th Frontier Force (Sam Browne's Cavalry)
- Royal Navy - HMS Prince of Wales
- Royal Air Force - No. 100 Squadron
- Short, J. H. T. (5 July 2012). "Notice of Regimental Amalgamation – 5th July 2012". 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s) Charitable Association. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Queen and Duke of York visit Richmond for amalgamation parade". Northern Echo. 3 May 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Regular Army Basing Matrix" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Scout: new eyes and ears on the battlefield". Ministry of Defence. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "Transforming the British Army" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Regular Army Basing Plan" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "The Royal Lancers". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 29 July 2016.