Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, Kellett Island, viewed from the west
|Formation||1890 as Hong Kong Corinthian Sailing Club|
|Purpose||advocate and public voice, educator and network for Recreational boating, and competitive sailors, coaches, volunteers and events|
|Affiliations||Hebe Haven Yacht Club; Aberdeen Boat Club|
|Website||Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club|
The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club (Chinese: 香港遊艇會) is a Hong Kong sports club for sailing and rowing. Founded as Hong Kong Corinthian Yacht Club (H.K.Y.C.) in 1890, it became the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club in 1894. It is one of the few local institutions to keep the "Royal" prefix after Hong Kong's handover to the People's Republic of China in 1997, despite support for its removal among some members prior to the handover.
Early members were British only with military personnel on the board. Today, membership is open to all.
The main buildings of the club are located by Victoria Harbour on the former Kellett Island, now part of Causeway Bay following land reclamation, and forming the western boundary of the Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter. The Club moved there in 1938, and the clubhouse was built in International Modern style in 1939 on the foundations of the old Naval Powder Magazine. It was designed by architects G.G. Wood and J.E. Potter of Leigh & Orange. The new premises were formally opened on 26 October 1940 by the Acting Governor, Lieutenant General Sir E. F. Norton. The building has been listed as a Grade III historic building since 22 January 2010.
Former headquarters in North Point
For 30 years prior to moving to Kellett Island, the main buildings of the Club were located at No. 12 Oil Street, in North Point, then a waterfront location, before reclamation. The former headquarters and clubhouse in Oil Street, built in the Arts and Crafts style, was officially opened on 21 March 1908 by the then Governor, Sir Frederick Lugard. The building was subsequently used as a garage, government staff quarters until 1998, as a storehouse of the Antiquities and Monuments Office until late 2007. The buildings now house the Oi! arts center that aims to promote visual arts in Hong Kong by providing a platform for art exhibitions, forums and other art-related activities. The Former Clubhouse of Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club has been listed as a Grade II historic building since 1995.
- Impressions of Hongkong, Shanghai, and other Treaty Ports of China, page 254.
- History of the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
- A Battle Royal Rocks Imperial Yacht Club, Christian Science Monitor, 10 June 1996
- Antiquities and Monuments Office: Brief Information on Proposed Grade 3 Items. Item #737
- Consultancy Agreement No. NEX/2213. Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study for Shatin to Central Link – Hung Hom to Admiralty Section. Appendix 4.1 Cultural Heritage Baseline Report, pp.4–10, 78. MTR Corporation Limited
- England, Vaudine (1998). The Quest of Noel Croucher: Hong Kong's Quiet Philanthropist. Hong Kong University Press. p. 130. ISBN 978-962-209-473-4.
- Antiquities and Monuments Office: List of the Historic Buildings in Building Assessment (as at 23 November 2011)
- One Club, Three Clubhouses
- Civil Service Newsletter, issue no. 61
- Brief Information on Proposed Grade II Items. Item #321
- "About Us". Oi!. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- List of the Historic Buildings in Building Assessment (as of 21 September 2012)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club.|
- Official Site
- Liu, Yee-shan, Louisa, "Redevelopment of the Hong Kong Yacht Club at Kellett Island", 1998, University of Hong Kong
- Heritage Impact Assessment on the Former Clubhouse of Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club at 12 Oil Street: Vol 1 Part 1, Vol 1 Part 2, Vol 1 Part 3, Vol 2