Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg
|Diocese of Harrisburg|
The coat of arms of the Diocese of Harrisburg
|Territory||Counties of Adams, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Snyder, Union and York, Pennsylvania|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of Philadelphia|
|Area||7,660 sq mi (19,800 km2)|
(as of 2006)|
|Established||March 3, 1868|
|Cathedral||St. Patrick's Cathedral|
|Patron saint||Saint Patrick|
|Bishop||Ronald William Gainer|
Charles Joseph Chaput|
Archbishop of Philadelphia
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg covers 15 counties of South Central Pennsylvania: Adams, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Snyder, Union and York. The seat of the bishop is in St. Patrick's Cathedral (built 1907), which stands one block away from the Pennsylvania State Capitol. Pope Blessed Pius IX erected the diocese on March 3, 1868.
The following are lists of bishops, coadjutor and auxiliary bishops, and priests who served the diocese and their years of service.
- † The Right Rev. Jeremiah F. Shanahan (1868-1886)
- † The Right Rev. Thomas McGovern (1888-1898)
- † The Right Rev. John W. Shanahan (1899-1916)
- † The Most Rev. Philip R. McDevitt (1916-1935)
- † The Most Rev. George L. Leech (1935-1971)
- † The Most Rev. Joseph T. Daley (1971 - 1983)
- The Most Rev. William Henry Keeler (1983 - 1989) Appointed archbishop of Baltimore on April 11, 1989; created cardinal on November 26, 1994; retired on July 12, 2007.
- † The Most Rev. Nicholas C. Dattilo (1990 - 2004)
- The Most Rev. Kevin C. Rhoades (2004 - 2010) Appointed bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Indiana, on November 14, 2009; installed on January 13, 2010.
- † The Most Rev. Joseph P. McFadden (2010 - 2013)
- The Most Rev. Ronald William Gainer (2014 – Present)
† = Deceased
Coadjutor and Auxiliary bishops
(Auxiliary bishop if not otherwise noted.)
- † Lawrence F. Schott (1956-1963)
- † Joseph T. Daley (1963-1967); coadjutor bishop (1967-1971) Became diocesan bishop by right of succession.
- William H. Keeler (1979-1983) Became diocesan bishop.
† = Deceased
Priests of the diocese who became Bishops
The following men began their service as priests in Harrisburg before being appointed bishops in Harrisburg or elsewhere:
- William Henry Keeler (Auxiliary Bishop of Harrisburg, Bishop of Harrisburg, Archbishop of Baltimore, Cardinal)
- Kevin C. Rhoades (Bishop of Harrisburg, Bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend)
- Lawrence Frederik Schott (Auxiliary Bishop of Harrisburg)
- William J. Waltersheid (Auxiliary Bishop of Pittsburgh)
- Edward C. Malesic, JCL (Bishop of Greensburg)
Other notable members:
- The Most Rev. David M. O'Connell, C.M. (1987–1998; served as an ecclesiastical judge and canonical consultant) (later Bishop of Trenton)
- Bishop McDevitt High School
- Delone Catholic High School
- Lancaster Catholic High School
- Lebanon Catholic High School
- Our Lady of Lourdes Regional High School
- Trinity High School
- York Catholic High School
Ban on participation of females in certain sports
On October 1, 2014, Bishop Ronald Gainer introduced a new policy prohibiting girls at Catholic schools in the diocese from participating in wrestling, football, and rugby whether or not they desire to compete in girls-only or co-ed matches. The policy goes on to require male wrestlers to forfeit matches against female opponents, but does not bar football or rugby teams from playing against teams which may have a girl on their team. According to the policy, the ban applies to sports "... that involve substantial and potentially immodest physical contact".
|Wikisource has the text of the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia article Diocese of Harrisburg.|
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Philadelphia
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "About the Diocese". Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- Gainer, Ronald (Oct 1, 2014). "Co-Ed Participation in Contact Sports". Catholic Schools / Co-Ed Participation in Contact Sports. Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Retrieved Oct 4, 2014.
Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs or clubs would not permit a female on a wrestling team...Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs and clubs would not permit a female on a tackle football team...Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs and clubs would not permit a female on a tackle rugby team.