Roman Catholic Diocese of Broken Bay
|Diocese of Broken Bay|
Dioecesis Sinus Tortuosi
|Territory||North Shore and Northern Beaches of greater metropolitan Sydney, and the Broken Bay and Central Coast regions of New South Wales|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Sydney|
|Coordinates||33°44′04″S 151°04′08″E / 33.73444°S 151.06889°E|
|Area||2,763 km2 (1,067 sq mi)|
(as of 2006)|
206,000 ( 25.2%)
|Established||8 April 1986|
|Cathedral||Our Lady of the Rosary, Waitara|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Anthony Fisher OP|
|Emeritus Bishops||David Walker|
|Diocese of Broken Bay|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Broken Bay is a suffragan Latin Rite diocese of the Archdiocese of Sydney, covering the North Shore and Northern Beaches of greater metropolitan Sydney, and the Broken Bay and Central Coast regions of New South Wales, Australia.
On 20 November 2014 Bishop Peter Comensoli was appointed as the third bishop of the diocese. He was enthroned on 12 December 2014.
The Diocese of Broken Bay was erected on 8 April 1986. Prior to this date, the area was considered within the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Sydney.
According to Roman Catholic Church records, in 1822 Governor Brisbane granted 490 hectares (1,200 acres) land near Pittwater to Father Therry for the purposes of establishing a church. However, attempts to established a church in 1859 were postponed due to the sparcity of Catholics. A church at Manly was established in 1873 and another erected at Careel Bay in 1875. Manly was the site of the first parish that was established in the area in 1876; followed by Gosford (1888) and Pymble (1889). Together these three parishes covered most of the present diocese until 1910. By 1885, work on St Patrick's College, Manly had commenced and was completed in 1888.
The Diocese covers 2,763 km2 (1,067 sq mi) and includes both bush and coastal communities. Symbolising the diocese is the lighthouse, based on the historic lighthouse at Barrenjoey.
Bishops of Broken Bay
Order Name Date installed Term ended Term of office Reason for term end 1 Patrick Laurence Murphy 8 April 1986 9 July 1996 10 years, 92 days Resigned and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Broken Bay 2 David Louis Walker 9 July 1996 11 November 2013 20 years, 160 days Resigned and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Broken Bay 3 Peter Comensoli 12 December 2014 present 2 years, 26 days n/a
Catholic Schools Office of the Diocese
As of 2006 the Diocese was responsible for overseeing the management of 43 Schools in the area (36 Catholic primary schools and 7 Catholic high schools) and was made up of approximately 15,000 students. The schools in the Diocese are:
- "Our history". The Catholic Community of North Harbour. 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "About our Diocese". Catholic Diocese of Broken Bay. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Manly Parish - History" (PDF). Manly Freshwater Parish, Diocese of Broken Bay. 2008. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Diocese of Broken Bay". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Hornsby Catholic Parish". Diocese of Broken Bay. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "New cathedral for Broken Bay". The Catholic Weekly. Australia. 24 February 2008. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- Findlay, Tracey (24 June 2009). "New cathedral to be a hub". The Hornsby and Upper North Shore Advocate. Australia. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Schools in the Diocese of Broken Bay". Catholic Schools Office, Diocese of Broken Bay. 2006. Retrieved 2 October 2011.