Palace in Rogalin
|Coordinates: 52°14′04″N 16°56′04″E / 52.23444°N 16.93444°ECoordinates: 52°14′04″N 16°56′04″E / 52.23444°N 16.93444°E|
Rogalin pronounced [rɔˈɡalin] is a village in western Poland, situated on the river Warta. It lies approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) east of the town of Mosina, and 19 km (12 mi) south of the metropolitan city of Poznań. It is perhaps best known for the Rogalin Landscape Park and its oak trees.
Rogalin is primarily famous for its 18th-century Polish Baroque palace of the Raczyński family, and the adjacent Raczyński Art Gallery, housing a permanent exhibition of paintings by the Polish and foreign artists of international renown including Paul Delaroche and Claude Monet as well as the famous Jan Matejko's large-size painting Joanna d'Arc (see a fragment below). The gallery was founded by Count Edward Aleksander Raczyński. Rogalin is also known for its putatively 1000-year-old oak trees (Polish: Dęby Rogalińskie) on the flood plains of the Warta and the historical St. Marcellinus Church, whose design was inspired by the Roman temple Maison Carrée in Nîmes, France.
The last owner of the estate was Count Edward Bernard Raczyński, who in 1979–1986 was President of the Polish Republic in exile. His sarcophagus is deposited in the Raczyński Mausoleum, under the church in Rogalin. In his testament, Count Raczyński bequeathed his estate in Rogalin (including the family palace, gallery, library, and church) to the Polish people.
Palace in Rogalin - front view
Sarcophagus of Count Edward Bernard Raczyński
Statue in Rogalin Park
Joanna d`Arc, fragment of large-scale painting by Jan Matejko of 1886
- Informations for tourists and citizens at Rogalin.org
- Adam Wyszynski, Photos from Rogalin at Rogalin.eu
- Rogalin travel guide from Wikivoyage