Rocca San Felice
|Rocca San Felice|
|Comune di Rocca San Felice|
Rocca San Felice
Location of Rocca San Felice in Italy
|Coordinates: 40°57′N 15°10′E / 40.950°N 15.167°ECoordinates: 40°57′N 15°10′E / 40.950°N 15.167°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Avellino (AV)|
|• Mayor||Giuseppe Fiorillo|
|• Total||14 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||740 m (2,430 ft)|
|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Located in the northern area of Irpinia, the municipality borders with Frigento, Guardia Lombardi, Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Sturno and Villamaina. It counts no hamlets (frazioni) but some localities as Carmasciano, Fontana dell'Olmo, Palombaia, Santa Felicita, Serro del Bosco, Taverna Bruciata, Toriello and Valli.
Among the main sights of the town there is the Castle and the old town, the Church of St. Maria Maggiore, the Chapel of Mary of Constantinople and the Sanctuary of Santa Felicita, in the homonymous locality.
The archaeological site of Ansanto Valley (Valle d'Ansanto), better known as "Mefite", is a sulphurous lake Valli, few kilometres from the towns of Villamaina and Torella dei Lombardi. It was named after the ancient Italic goddess Mefitis, venerated by the people of Hirpini, and counts some ruins of a sanctuary of the 7th century BC. The little lake is formed by a pool of water, about 2 metres (7 ft) deep, that boils as a result of the gas emissions of the subsoil, consisting primarily of carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid. Because of this poisonous emissions, the surrounding area is free of animals and vegetation.
- (Italian) All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat): 2011 population statistics
- (Italian) Rocca San Felice and its sights (irpinia.info)
- Coordinates of the "Mefite": 40°58′28″N 15°08′45″E / 40.97438°N 15.14573°E
- (Italian) Mefite of Rocca San Felice (irpinia.info)
- (Italian) Ansanto Valley and the Mefitis (Villamaina municipal website)
- (Italian) Mefite at roccasanfelice.net
- Mefite on Panoramio
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocca San Felice.|