Robert de Rothschild
|Robert de Rothschild|
Robert Philippe de Rothschild|
19 January 1880
25 December 1946 66) (aged|
|Cause of death||pneumonia|
|Residence||Château de Laversine|
|Occupation||Banker, philanthropist, polo player|
|Spouse(s)||Gabrielle Nelly Régine Beer (m. 1907)|
Diane de Rothschild (b. 1907)|
Alain de Rothschild (b. 1910)
Cécile de Rothschild (b. 1913)
Élie de Rothschild (b. 1917)
Gustave de Rothschild|
James Mayer de Rothschild (paternal grandfather)|
Guy de Rothschild (nephew)
Robert Philippe Gustave de Rothschild (19 January 1880 – 25 December 1946) was a French banker, philanthropist and polo player.
He was a banker.
During World War II, he was on the Nazi blacklist. Moreover, his French citizenship was nullified by the Vichy government because he was Jewish. He escaped to England and emigrated to the United States, arriving in New York City in August 1940. He stayed there for five years, throughout the war years.
He was a four-goal polo player. He was the founder of the Deauville International Polo Club in 1907. He organized the Laversine Open Polo Cup on the grounds of his chateau in Saint-Maximin. He also organized tournaments in Apremont in 1920. By 1995, Apremont was home to the Polo Club du Domaine de Chantilly.
He married Gabrielle Nelly Régine Beer on 6 March 1907. They resided at the Château de Laversine. They had two sons and two daughters:
- Diane Cécile Alice Juliette de Rothschild (1907–1996), married to Anatol Mühlstein (m. 1932), and Joseph Benvenuti (m. 1952)
- James Gustave Jules Alain de Rothschild (1910–1982), married Mary Chauvin du Treuil (m. 1938)
- Cécile Léonie Eugénie Gudule Lucie de Rothschild (1913–1995)
- Élie Robert de Rothschild (1917–2007), married to Liliane Fould-Springer (m. 1942)
- Robert de Rothschild, Bibliothèque nationale de France
- Baron Robert De Rothschild Dies at 66; Spent War Years in the United States, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, December 27, 1946
- Horace A. Laffaye, The Polo Encyclopedia, Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Co., 2004, p. 322
- Deauville International Polo Club: Le Club: 120 ans de polo à Deauville.
- Le Polo Club de Chantilly : un Site Historique
- "Baron Rothschild Of Banking Family. Robert, a Member of the Paris Branch, Dies in Lausanne. Had Spent Exile Here". New York Times. December 26, 1946. Retrieved 2015-06-22.
Robert, Baron de Rothschild, retired member of the Paris banking family, died in Lausanne, Switzerland, today after a long illness, it was learned here tonight. His age was 66.