Richard H. Bube
Richard H. Bube (born August 10, 1927) is an American scientist.
He was a researcher at RCA Laboratories in Princeton, New Jersey from 1948 to 1962. Thereafter he taught at Stanford University where he was an associate professor from 1962 to 1964, when he became professor of materials science and electrical engineering. He served as his department's chair from 1975 to 1986, and is now an emeritus professor
For over twenty years he also conducted an undergraduate seminar at Stanford University on "Issues in Science and Christianity", until it was cancelled in 1988 by Stanford University.
- The American Physical Society (fellow)
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (fellow)
- The American Society for Engineering Education
- The American Scientific Affiliation (fellow, member of executive council from 1964 to 1968, vice-president in 1967, president in 1968, editor of its journal from 1969 to 1983, emeritus fellow from 2009)
Defense of theistic evolution
In the 1970s, whilst he was editor of the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation Bube defended the viewpoint of theistic evolution in that journal. One such article on this topic would receive in-journal peer-review by Baptist theologian Bernard L. Ramm, Canadian historian and Reformed scholar W. Stanford Reid, Fuller theologian Paul King Jewett, and Christian apologist Alvin Plantinga.
Bube was born in Providence, Rhode Island to Edward Ella Neser and Ella (Baltteim) Bube. He married Betty Jane Meeker on October 9, 1948 and they had four children: Mark Timothy, Kenneth Paul, Sharon Elizabeth, Meryl Lee. His son Mark T. Bube is the General Secretary for Foreign Missions of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
His views on religion have been discussed by theologian Stanley J. Grenz.
- Electrons in solids : an introductory survey (1982, 1992), Richard H Bube
- Photoconductivity of solids (1960, 1978)
- Fundamentals of solar cells : photovoltaic solar energy conversion co-authored with Alan L Fahrenbruch(1983)
- Electronic properties of crystalline solids: an introduction to fundamentals (1974)
- Photoelectronic properties of semiconductors by Richard H Bube (1992)
- Photovoltaic materials (1998), ISBN 1-86094-065-X
- Photoinduced defects in semiconductors co-authored with David Redfield (1996)
- Annual review of materials science (1971-onward)
Religion and science works
- Putting it all Together: Seven Patterns for Relating Science and the Christian faith. University Press of America, 1995. ISBN 0-8191-9755-6.
- The Encounter between Christianity and Science (1968)
- The Human Quest: a New Look at Science and the Christian Faith (1971, 1976)
- To Every Man an Answer: a Systematic study of the Scriptural basis of Christian Doctrine (1955)
- One Whole Life. (self-published autobiography). 530 pages. 1995.
- "Man in the Context of Evolutionary Theory". Horizons of science : Christian scholars speak out. Ed. Carl F. H. Henry. Harper & Row, 1978. ISBN 0-06-063866-4.
- "Scientist as Believer". Expanding humanity's vision of God : new thoughts on science and religion. Ed. Robert L. Herrmann. Templeton Foundation Press, 2001. ISBN 1-890151-50-5.
- "Postscript: Final Reflections on the Dialogue". Summaries by Richard H. Bube and Phillip E. Johnson. Three Views on Creation and Evolution. pp. 249–266. Zondervan, 1999. ISBN 0-310-22017-3.
- Richard H. Bube in Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2009. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Gale, 2009.
- "How Does My Faith Affect My Scientific Work?" 48:3, 186, S 1996.
- Ed. J.P. Moreland and John Mark Reynolds. Three Views on Creation and Evolution. Zondervan, 1999. ISBN 0-310-22017-3. pp.283-284.
- The Harmonious Dissonance of Evangelical Scientists: Rhetoric and Reality in the Early Decades of The American Scientific Affiliation, PSCF 50 (December 1998): 241-249
- Newsletter of the ASA & CSCA Jan/Feb 2009
- "Original Sin as Natural Evil". Richard H. Bube. JASA. Vol.27 (December 1975):171-180.
- Part I of "Original Sin as Natural Evil": "Biblical Evolutionism?". Richard H. Bube. JASA. Vol.23 (December 1971): 140-145.
- Putting it all Together: Seven Patterns for Relating Science and the Christian faith. University Press of America, 1995. ISBN 0-8191-9755-6. p.211.
- Stanley J. Grenz. Theology for the Community of God. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2001. ISBN 0-8028-4755-2. pp.147-148.
- ASA Newsletter, Nov/Dec 1994.
- Faculty page on Stanford University website
- Bube's Worldcat identity
- "Censorship in Academia: The Professor of Richard H. Bube Case" at the Wayback Machine (archived December 9, 2004) in Contra-Mundum, Fall 1993, Volume 9. pp. 42–44. (pdf pages: 44-46).
- List of JASA articles
- "PATTERNS FOR RELATING SCIENCE AND FAITH" (Findings of Putting it All Together, Richard H. Bube, Univ. Press of America (1995).)
- "Claims Based on the Authority of Science and How to Assess Them". Richard H. Bube. Newsletter of the ASA.