Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Kent
|3rd Earl of Kent|
Arms of Sir Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Kent, KG
|Father||George Grey, 2nd Earl of Kent|
|Died||3 May 1524 (aged 42-43)|
Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Kent KG (1481 – 3 May 1524) was an English peer.
His father was secondly married to Catherine Herbert. His paternal half-brothers included Henry Grey, 4th Earl of Kent. His mother was previously married to William Bourchier, Viscount Bourchier. His maternal half-siblings included Henry Bourchier, 2nd Earl of Essex and Cecily Bourchier. Cecily was mother to Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford.
Richard married twice. His first wife was Elizabeth Hussey. She was a daughter of Sir William Hussey and Elizabeth Berkeley. Her father had served as Attorney General for England and Wales from 16 June 1471 to 7 May 1481 and Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales from 7 May 1481 to his death on 24 November 1495. His second wife was Margaret Fynche, daughter of James Fynche. There were no known children from either marriage.
Richard wound up heavily in debt, probably through gambling, and was forced to alienate most of his property. A good part ended up in the crown's hands; historians disagree regarding what this says about the relationship of Henry VII of England with the aristocracy.
Richard died childless and was succeeded as earl by his half-brother Henry. Henry tried, with little success, to reacquire the property Richard had sold, and had to live as a modest gentleman, never formally taking title as earl.
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Kent
| Succeeded by|
- Doe, Norman (2004). "Hussey , Sir William (d. 1495)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/14271. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.) The first edition of this text is available as an article on Wikisource: "Hussey, William". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Hamilton, John Andrew (1891). Hussey, William. 28. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900. p. 332. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Maddison, A.R., ed. (1903). Lincolnshire Pedigrees, Vol. II. LI. London: Harleian Society. pp. 526–32. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Will of Sir William Hussey, PROB 11/10/592, proved 4 July 1496, National Archives 11 December 2013
- Will of Dame Elizabeth Hussey, widow, PROB 11/14/415, proved 11 December 1504, National Archives 11 December 2013
- The Complete Peerage