Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel
He was the son of John FitzAlan, 7th Earl of Arundel (6th Earl of Arundel per Ancestral Roots) and Isabella Mortimer, daughter of Roger Mortimer, 1st Baron Wigmore and Maud de Braose. His paternal grandparents were John Fitzalan, 6th Earl of Arundel and Maud le Botiller.
Richard was feudal Lord of Clun and Oswestry in the Welsh Marches. After attaining his majority in 1289 he became the 8th Earl of Arundel, by being summoned to Parliament by a writ directed to the Earl of Arundel.
He was knighted by King Edward I of England in 1289.
Fought in Wales, Gascony & Scotland
He fought in the Welsh wars, 1288 to 1294, when the Welsh castle of Castell y Bere (near modern-day Towyn) was besieged by Madog ap Llywelyn. He commanded the force sent to relieve the siege and he also took part in many other campaigns in Wales ; also in Gascony 1295-97; and furthermore in the Scottish wars, 1298-1300.
Marriage & Issue
- Edmund FitzAlan, 9th Earl of Arundel.
- John, a priest.
- Alice FitzAlan, married Stephen de Segrave, 3rd Lord Segrave.
- Margaret FitzAlan, married William le Botiller (or Butler).
- Eleanor FitzAlan, married Henry de Percy, 1st Baron Percy.
Richard and his mother are buried together in the sanctuary of Haughmond Abbey, long closely associated with the FitzAlan family.
|Ancestors of Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel|
- Standard accounts of the Percy family identify Eleanor as the daughter of the "Earl of Arundel". Arrangements for Eleanor's marriage to Lord Percy are found in the recognizance made in 1300 by Eleanor's father, Richard, Earl of Arundel, for a debt of 2,000 marks which he owed Sir Henry Percy. Eleanor was styled as a "kinswoman" of Edward II on two separate occasions; once in 1318 and again in 1322 presumably by her descent from Amadeus IV, Count of Savoy who was the brother of Edward II's great-grandmother, Beatrice of Savoy. Eleanor's brothers, Edmund and John were also styled as "kinsmen" of the king. Eleanor's identity is further indicated by the presence of the old and new arms of FitzAlan (or Arundel) at her tomb.
- www.briantimms.net, Charles's Roll
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.833
- Fitzalan, Richard (1267-1302) (DNB00). Wikisource.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis. Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700.
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Arundel
| Succeeded by|