Republic Hydrometeorological Institute of Serbia
Републички Хидрометеоролошки завод Србије (РХМЗ)|
Republički hidrometeorološki zavod Srbije (RHMZ)
|Headquarters||Kneza Višeslava 66, Belgrade, Serbia|
The Republic Hydrometeorological Institute of Serbia (Serbian Cyrillic: Републички Хидрометеоролошки завод Србије (РХМЗ); Serbian Latin: Republički hidrometeorološki zavod Srbije (RHMZ)) is the national meteorological and hydrological service of Serbia.
On the initiative of Professor Vladimir Jakshic (1824-1899) in 1848 was founded the first private network of meteorological stations in Serbia. In 1857 was recorded that the network had 27 meteorological stations whose observers were volunteers of different professions. However, Jaksić in 1863 accepted a job at the Ministry of Finance where he founded a Department of Statistics. From that moment the number of meteorological stations is rapidly decreasing. The only weather station who survived was in the Jaksic′s house yard in Belgrade. From these weather station Jakšic exercised observation from 1848 until his death. Meanwhile, Milan Nedeljkovic are returned 1884 from study education in Paris to Serbia. Nedeljkovic become a professor of meteorology and astronomy. In 1887 he was founded observatory at the Grand School. Key moment where Minister of Education, Dr Vladan Djordjevic passed on September 27, 1888 the Regulation on the establishment of unified state network of meteorological stations in the whole country. At the invitation of the organizers, representatives of the FHMI signed on 22 September 1947 in Washington, a Convention on the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). FHMI was one of the 45 world meteorological services, which were founders of WMO. After the FHMI was abolished in April 2003, the RHSS was entrusted as its legal successor with all its responsibilities, especially the international cooperation.