Real-time enterprise (commonly abbreviated to RTE) is a concept in business systems design focused on ensuring organisational responsiveness that was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century. It is also referred to as on-demand enterprise. Such an enterprise must be able to fulfill orders as soon as they are needed.
Though not particularly well defined, generally accepted goals of an RTE include:
- Reduced response times for partners and customers
- Increased transparency, for example sharing or reporting information across an enterprise instead of keeping it within individual departments
- Increased automation, including communications, accounting, supply chains and reporting
- Increased competitiveness
- Reduced costs.
- Dawn of the real-time enterprise at Infoworld
- White Paper on Real Time Enterprises by Vinod Khosla & Murugan Pal