|Directed by||Sathyan Anthikkad|
|Produced by||Antony Perumbavoor|
|Written by||Sathyan Anthikkad|
|Edited by||K. Rajagopal|
|Distributed by||Central Pictures Release & PJ Entertainments UK|
|Budget||₹ 2.70 crores|
|Box office||₹ 16 crores|
Rasathanthram (Malayalam : രസതന്ത്രം, English : Alchemy) is a 2006 Malayalam drama film written and directed by Sathyan Anthikkad, starring Mohanlal and Meera Jasmine in lead roles. Other actors include Bharath Gopi, KPAC Lalitha, Innocent, Oduvil Unnikrishnan and Mamukkoya. Director Sathyan Anthikkad got the Mathrubhumi Best Director award for this film. Music director Ilayaraja scored the music. It completed 100 days run in various centres it released.
Premachandran (Mohanlal) is a carpenter who lives along with his father, Balan Master (Bharath Gopi), and works along with his friend, Manikandan (Innocent). They are now working on a house near the house of a rich landlord. Kanmani (Meera Jasmine), who was sold by her mother, works in that house as a servant and is ill-treated. Seethamma (KPAC Lalitha) lives along with her daughter, Kumari (Muthumani), who has a liking towards Premachandran. One night, Premachandran goes to his workplace to take his tools. He sees Kanmani leaving the house and is puzzled. He follows her. She was on the verge of committing suicide when Premachandran rescues her. He gives her shelter in one room in a building owned by Chettiyar (Oduvil Unnikrishnan), telling Chettiyar that his friend did not get the bus to go back home. Kanmani dresses up as a boy by the name of Velayuthan Kutty and soon starts working with Manikandan and Premachandran. Balan Master starts liking the disguised boy. One day, Premachandran tells Kanmani that he has planned to rescue her by sending her to Tamil Nadu to work in a banian company where Premachandran's friend is working. Kanmani refueses to go. Premachandran accidentally confesses to Manikandan that Velayuthan Kutty is actually the missing Kanmani. Manikandan has no peace and shouts out the truth in the middle of the night. Two policemen, accidentally hear this and take Premachandran and Kanmani into custody.
Kanmani tells the court that she and Premachandran are in love and intended to elope. She said this, to avoid imprisonment. Soon, Kanmani develops an affection towards Premachandran. Premachandran tells her that she doesn't know anything about him and that he is an ex-convict in a murder case. Actually, Premachandran's friend Sivan (Mukesh) murdered a hooligan who abused Premachandran's sister. Kanmani now agrees to go to Tamil Nadu, but Premachandran doesn't let her go and admits her in a hostel. Premachandran's brother, Siddique, comes to the fray and asks Balan Master to attend his daughter's marriage. He asks that Premachandran not come. Actually, Balan Master & Premachandran are living far away from home because of the bad nature shown by Premachandran's brother and sister. Balan Master is not willing to go without Premachandran. Premachandran who loves his niece as his daughter changes Balan Master's mind, by going with him without anybody knowing he is there. On returning, they see their rented house being destroyed. Balan Master takes shelter in an old age home headed by a retired Colonel until a new house can be rented. Premachandran goes to Kochi to meet Sivan - who is now a business tycoon, but Sivan doesn't meet Premachandran's needs. On returning, Premachandran finds out that Balan Master is dead. He performs the ceremonial rites and goes to Kanmani. Meanwhile, Kanmani's so called uncle (Jagathty Sreekumar) - who wants to marry Kanmani - and his sister have court orders to take Kanmani back to Tamil Nadu. But, Premachandran grabs the "thali mala" from Jagathy's character, ties the knot on Kanmani and subsequently marries her.
- Mohanlal as Premachandran.
- Bharath Gopi as Balan Master, Premachandran's father.
- Meera Jasmine as Kanmani/Velayuthan Kutty.
- Innocent as Manikandan Aashari, the lead-carpenter.
- Mamukkoya as Kunjoottan, Manikandan Aashari's brother-in-law.
- Oduvil Unnikrishnan as Ganeshan Chettiyar, the owner of the house where Premachandran and his father lived.
- Jagathi Sreekumar as Vetrivel Sundara Pandiyan (Cameo appearance).
- K. P. A. C. Lalitha as Seethamma, Premachandran's neighbour.
- Muthumani as Kumari, who has a crush on Premachandran and is the daughter of Seethamma.
- Bindu Panicker as Sobhana, Manikandan Aashari's wife.
- Siddique as Rajendran, Premachandran's brother, who is a bank manager.
- Mukesh as Shivan, Premachandran's childhood friend.
- Suraj Venjaramoodu as Suresh.
- Anoop Chandran as Video Shop Man.
- P. Sreekumar as Roychan.
- T.G Ravi as Major.
- Manjusha Sajish as Sreekutty
- Reshmi Boban as Roy's sister
- Bindu Murali as Roy's wife
- Sethulakshmi as servant
The film was mainly shot at various locations in Thodupuzha, Moolamattom, and nearby places.
|Soundtrack album by Dr. Ilaiyaraaja|
|1||"Poo Kunkumapoo (M)"||K. J. Yesudas||Shuddha Dhanyasi|
|4||"Ponnaavani Paadam Thedi"||Madhu Balakrishnan, Manjari||Shivaranjani|
|5||"Poo Kunkumapoo (F)"||K. S. Chithra||Shuddha Dhanyasi|
- Mathrubhumi Film Award for Best Director - Sathyan Anthikkad
- Asianet Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Manjari
- Critics Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Manjari