The parish includes the village of Crays Hill.
The place-name 'Ramsden' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Ramesdana. The name means 'wild garlic dene or valley' (cf. the plant ramsons), or possibly 'ram's valley'. Close Rolls show that Ramsden Crays was held by Simon de Craye in 1252, Craye referring to Cray or Craye in France.
- Eilert Ekwall, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-names, p.380.
- "Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY List entry Number: 1122251". English Heritage. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramsden Crays.|