|Città di Racconigi|
The central "Carlo Alberto Square" and the Town Hall
Location of Racconigi in Italy
|Coordinates: IT 44°46′N 07°41′E / 44.767°N 7.683°ECoordinates: IT 44°46′N 07°41′E / 44.767°N 7.683°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Cuneo (CN)|
|Frazioni||Canapile, Berroni, Migliabruna, Oia, Parruccia, San Lorenzo, Streppe, Tagliata|
|• Mayor||Adriano Tosello (from 2002-05-26)|
|• Total||48.03 km2 (18.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||260 m (850 ft)|
|Population (December 31, 2004)|
|• Density||210/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. John the Baptist|
Racconigi is located in the northern borders of its province with the one of Turin. The town borders with the municipalities of Caramagna Piemonte, Carmagnola (TO), Casalgrasso, Cavallerleone, Cavallermaggiore, Lombriasco (TO), Murello, Polonghera and Sommariva del Bosco. Its municipal hamlets (frazioni) are Canapile, Berroni, Migliabruna, Oia, Parruccia, San Lorenzo, Streppe and Tagliata.
- Castle of Racconigi: This royal residence built in 1570 on the basis of an earlier castle which dated to the beginning of the second millennium. The large park was laid out in 1755 by the French gardener Molard from designs by Le Nôtre, and enlarged in 1835. The castle became the summer residence of the King of Italy in 1901, and part of the World Heritage Site Residences of the Royal House of Savoy in 1997.
- San Giovanni Battista: Church
- San Domenico: Baroque church
- Santa Maria Maggiore: Baroque church
- Church of Santissimo Nome di Gesù: Baroque church
- LIPU: the Italian League for the Protection of Birds, established the Centro Anatidi e Cicogne in 1985 in a large farmhouse near the castle as a site for the reintroduction of the white stork, which became extinct in Italy as a breeding species at the beginning of the eighteenth century. The site now includes a breeding centre for various endangered species of ducks, geese and swans—notably the white-headed duck which has been extinct in Italy since 1976—and an area of wetland where visitors can observe such migrants as black-winged stilt, little ringed plover and black-tailed godwit.
- Tenuta Berroni: The estate was build in 1773 for the noble De Laugier as holiday house with beautiful gardens, a chapel and some rural buildings: it was an isolated villa in the coutryside, but made entirely self-sufficient. The interior decoration and antique furniture were commissioned to the many artists who worked for Castle of Racconigi. Today it is both a private estate as well as a location for weddings, events and a set for several movies.
- Umberto II, last King of Italy, was born here.
- ‘Racconigi’, in Encyclopædia Britannica (1911).
- "Tenuta Berroni - location per matrimoni, shooting e convention". Tenuta Berroni - location per matrimoni, shooting e convention. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
Media related to Racconigi at Wikimedia Commons