The Pyrenees–Mediterranean Euroregion (Euroregió Pirineus Mediterrània; Eurorégion Pyrénées–Méditerannée; Eurorregión Pirineos Mediterráneo; Euroregion Pirenèus-Mediterranèa; EPM; also known as the Pyrenees Mediterranean European Grouping for Territorial Cooperation (EGTC)) is a Euroregion founded on the 29 October 2004. It is a political cooperation project between Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, and Occitanie. The Autonomous Community of Aragon suspended participation in 2006 due to an ongoing conflict with Catalonia about some religious art.
The aim of the Pyrenees–Mediterranean Euroregion is to create sustainable development within the northwest Mediterranean, to further innovation within these areas, and to contribute to a "socially conscious" Europe, focusing on implementing these factors through innovation, technology and other sources via the European Union's Cohesion Policy.
EPM also focuses on fostering cooperation between cultural and economic networks within the northwest Mediterranean region.
Projects of the EPM include the allocation of centres of higher education and initiatives for a "Eurocampus" and business creation.
- The full name in English is made explicit in this news item on the European Union Committee of Regions (EGTC) website, at "The Pyrenees Mediterranean Euroregion launches CreaMed, a European project that aims to support new entrepreneurs", 8 December 2010.
- "Què és la Euroregió" ("What is this Euroregion?"), on the Pyrenees–Mediterranean Euroregion's official website, in Catalan, French and Spanish.
- "How Did the Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion Come About?", European Report, 4 October 2010, via "Goliath: Business Knowledge on Demand".
- (Convention 2008, p. 4 – article G)
- Aragón Radio (23 de mazo de 2006). "Aragón no rompe sus relaciones con Cataluña pero suspende su participación en la Eurorregión". Aragón TV (in Spanish). Retrieved 2011-12-20. Check date values in:
- (Statuts 2009, p. 2 – article 5)
- (Statuts 2009, p. 8 – article 10)
- Some material from this article is taken from the French Wikipedia article GECT Pyrénées-Mediterranée.
- REGULATION (EC) No 1082/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 5 July 2006 on a European grouping of territorial cooperation (EGTC)
- SCADPlus: European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation (EGTC)
- Euroregion website
- Portal Cultura
- UE Committee of Regions Committee of Regions website