Province of Caltanissetta
|Province of Caltanissetta|
Landscape at Mussomeli.
Map highlighting the location of the province of Caltanissetta in Italy
|• Commissar||Rosalba Panvini|
|• Total||2,128 km2 (822 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||130/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||93100, 93010-93020|
|Telephone prefix||0934, 0933, 0922|
The Province of Caltanissetta (Italian: Provincia di Caltanissetta; Sicilian: Pruvincia di Nissa) is a province in the southern part of Sicily, Italy. It contains 22 comuni, which are listed at Comuni of the Province of Caltanissetta. Its coat of arms is a red crest and two green leaf stems on top with a laurel leaf on the right and a crown in the middle. The River Salso is the main river of the province; it is 122 kilometres (76 mi) long and originates in the province of Palermo, and it flows into the Mediterranean in this province at the end of the Gulf of Gela.
Bordering provinces and metropolitan cities
- Province of Agrigento, W
- Metropolitan City of Palermo, NW
- Province of Enna, N
- Province of Catania, NE
- Province of Ragusa, E
The province extends to the central part of Sicily in the northwestern direction where the capital is located. The commune of Resuttano is found in an enclave of the province of Palermo near Caltanissetta between Monte Stretto and Portella del Vento. Another example in the same province is that of the two small localities of Cannetti and Corfidato, two frazioni of the comune of Enna, 15 km (9.3 mi) away, within the territory of the comune of Caltanissetta. The land extends to the Gela Plain and into the Gulf of Gela, where the main river of the province, the Salso, meets the Mediterranean.
- Finley, Israel Moses (1979). History of ancient Sicily. Bari, Laterza. p. 13.
- Roy Palmer Domenico (2002). The Regions of Italy: A Reference Guide to History and Culture. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 283. ISBN 978-0-313-30733-1.
- Giovanni Uggeri (2004). La Viabilitā della Sicilia in Etā Romana. Mario Congedo Editore. ISBN 978-88-8086-559-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Province of Caltanissetta.|
- Official website (Italian)
- Pictures, history, tourism, gastronomy, books, local products, local surnames, transportation in the province of Caltanissetta