Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland
|Duchess of Gotland|
Princess Leonore with her mother in 2016
20 February 2014|
Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York City, New York, United States
|Mother||Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland|
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
|Swedish Royal Family|
Princess Leonore of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland (Leonore Lilian Maria Bernadotte; born 20 February 2014), is a Swedish princess and the elder child of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill. She is seventh in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. At the time of her birth she was fifth in line.
Birth and life
Leonore was born at 22:41 Eastern Time on 20 February 2014 at New York's Weill Cornell Medical Center, United States. A 21-gun salute was fired in Stockholm to celebrate her birth. Prior to her birth it was announced that any prospective children of Princess Madeleine would be styled Royal Highness and enter the line of succession. However, in order to be eligible to ascend, Leonore must be brought up as a member of the Church of Sweden and reside in Sweden during her upbringing.
Her name and titles were revealed when her grandfather, King Carl XVI Gustaf, met with the cabinet on 26 February 2014. Her first name was chosen by her parents as one that they both liked very much after considering a very large number of other names. It has been used previously by four Swedish queens, but then only in full as Eleonora. Her middle names honour her great-grandaunt Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland, and her paternal grandmother. Leonore was registered with the surname Bernadotte in the Swedish registry.
On 8 June 2014 (the first anniversary of her parents' wedding), Leonore was christened in the Royal Chapel of Drottningholm Palace into the Lutheran faith, as required for succession by the Swedish Constitution, by Anders Wejryd, the Archbishop of Sweden. Her godparents were her maternal aunt, The Crown Princess; her paternal aunt, Tatjana d'Abo; her paternal aunt's husband, Count Ernst Abensperg und Traun; her mother's cousin, Patrick Sommerlath; and friends of her parents, Alice Bamford and Louise Gottlieb. She was christened in the family's antique christening gown which was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was christened in 1906. Her name and date of christening was added in embroidery to the gown.
Leonore met Pope Francis on 27 April 2015 in Vatican City with her parents and maternal grandmother. Leonore attended the wedding of her maternal uncle on 13 June 2015 wearing an heirloom dress previously worn by her maternal great-great-grandfather, King Gustaf VI Adolf.
On 21 February 2016, Leonore accompanied her mother at a tea party for 12 children with illnesses from the My Big Day Foundation hosted at Stockholm Palace. On 3 June 2016, Leonore visited her duchy, Gotland accompanied by her parents to visit a horse which was given to Leonore at the time of her christening named Heidi and the Museum of Gotland.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Leonore is styled as: Her Royal Highness Princess Leonore of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland.
Swedish appointments and honours
Princess Leonore's coat of arms is based on the greater coat of arms of Sweden. It features in the first and fourth quarters, the Three Crowns; in the second, the lion of the House of Bjelbo; and in the third, the ram of the arms of Gotland, representing the titular designation of her dukedom. In the centre, on an inescutcheon, is the dynastic arms of the House of Bernadotte. Surrounding the shield is the ribbon of the Order of the Seraphim.
|Ancestors of Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland|
- Skatteverket public records
- "Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O'Neill have had a daughter". Kungahuset.se. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- Reuters in Stockholm. "Sweden's Princess Madeleine gives birth to daughter | World news". Theguardian.com. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Swedish princess gives birth in NYC far from home". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Princess Madeleine shows off first signs of burgeoning baby bump". Hellomagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Här är hon - Prinsessan Leonore". Svt.se. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Swedish Constitution's Order of Succession, §4:"As § 2 of the 1809 Constitution Act expressly states that the King shall always be of the pure evangelical faith, such as in the unaltered Augsburg Confession, and the Uppsala Meeting decision of the year 1593 adopted and explained, thus shall also Princes and Princesses of the Royal House be brought up in the same faith and within the kingdom. Member of the Royal Family not professing this faith, would be from all rights of succession excluded".". Lagen.nu. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Princess Madeleine gives birth to a daughter - The Local". Thelocal.se. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Princess Madeleine gives birth to baby girl". Hellomagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "H.R.H. Princess Leonore Lilian Maria, Duchess of Gotland" (Press release). Royal Court of Sweden. 2014-02-26. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Charlotta Johansson. "Chris O'Neill: Ett namn vi tycker väldigt mycket om - Nyheter". SVT.se. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Därför blev det Leonore Lilian Maria | Nyheter | Aftonbladet". Aftonbladet.se. 2014-02-26. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "The Te Deum thanksgiving service in connection with Princess Madeleine's delivery". Kungahuset.se. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "The Royal Family attend a Te Deum thanksgiving service in the Royal Chapel". Royal Court of Sweden. 2014-03-02. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- H.R.H. Princess Leonore will be christened in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace on June 8, 2014
- "A short summary about Princess Leonore's christening ceremony". Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Official site". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Instagram Image". Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "The Royal Family's Attire". Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Princess Leonore's Christening". Swedish Royal Court. 2014-06-08. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- "Här har du din släkt, prinsessan Leonore". Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- Royal Court of Sweden- Princess Leonore
- Media related to Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland at Wikimedia Commons
Princess Leonore, Duchess of GotlandBorn: 20 February 2014
Title last held byPrince Oscar
|Duchess of Gotland
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne