Princess Elisabeth, Duchess in Bavaria
|Princess Max of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria|
31 December 1940|
|Spouse||Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria (m. 1967)|
Sophie, Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein|
Marie Caroline, Duchess Philipp of Württemberg
Duchess Elisabeth, Mrs. Terberger
Duchess Maria Anna, Baroness von Maltzan
|Father||Count Carl Ludvig Douglas|
|Mother||Ottora Maria Haas-Heye|
|Bavarian Royal Family|
HRH The Dowager Princess of Waldburg
Elisabeth was born at Stockholm, Sweden, on 31 December 1940. She was the first daughter of Count Carl Ludvig Douglas and Ottora Maria Haas-Heye. She was granddaughter of General Vilhelm Archibald Douglas. Her maternal great-grandfather was Philip, Prince of Eulenburg and Hertefeld (1847–1921) (friend of Wilhelm II, German Emperor), whose youngest child Viktoria Ada Astrid Agnes (1886–1967) married in 1909 Professor Otto Ludwig Haas-Heye (1879–1959), and had issue, including two daughters. Elisabeth descends through both her mother and father from medieval Scandinavian nobility and rulers. However, her father's patrilineal ancestry is Scottish, of the Swedish-German branch, descended via two obscure generations, descended from the youngest son of James Douglas, 1st Baron of Dalkeith, ancestor of the 15th century Earls of Morton. All these Douglases were of the Morton branch of the ancient Douglas family. Her younger sister Rosita married in 1972 to John Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough but divorced in 2008.
Marriage and family
Countess Elisabeth married on 10 January 1967 in a civil ceremony in Kreuth, to Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria, son of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria and his first wife, Countess Maria Draskovich of Trakostjan and great-grandson of King Ludwig III of Bavaria. They married in a religious ceremony in Munich on 24 January 1967.
They had five daughters:
- Duchess Sophie Elisabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967 in Munich). She married Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein on 3 July 1993 in Vaduz. They have four children:
- Duchess Marie-Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 23 June 1969 in Munich). She married Duke Philipp of Württemberg (son of Carl, Duke of Württemberg) in a civil ceremony in Altshausen and a religious ceremony on 27 July 1991 in Tegernsee. They have four children:
- Duchess Sophie Anastasia Assunta Marie Pauline of Württemberg (born 15 January 1994 in Munich)
- Duchess Pauline Philippa Adelheid Helena Marie of Württemberg (born 15 April 1997 in London)
- Duke Carl-Theodor Philipp Maria Max Emanuel of Württemberg (born 15 June 1999 in London)
- Duchess Anna Maximiliana Elizabeth Mariella Marie of Württemberg (born 1 February 2007 in London)
- Duchess Helena Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 6 May 1972 in Munich)
- Duchess Elisabeth Marie Christine Franziska in Bavaria (born 4 October 1973 in Munich). She married Daniel Terberger (born 1 June 1967) on 25 September 2004. They have two children:
- Maximilian Ludwig Terberger (born 30 August 2005 in Bielefeld)
- Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia Terberger (born 13 December 2007)
- Duchess Maria-Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julie in Bavaria (born 7 May 1975 in Munich). She was married firstly on 8 September 2007 to Klaus Runow (born 3 July 1964), an investment banker, divorced in 2015. Married secondly Baron Andreas von Maltzan in October 2015. She has two sons with her first husband:
- Heinrich Maria Leopold Maximilian Runow (born 3 May 2010 in Munich)
- Johannes Emanuel Philipp Maria Runow (born 24 March 2012)
Max and Elisabeth live at Schloss Tegernsee and Schloss Wildenwart.
Titles and styles
- 30 December 1940 – 10 January 1967: Countess Elisabeth Christina Douglas-Stjernorp auf Mühlhausen und Langenstein.
- 10 January 1967 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria.
|Ancestors of Princess Elisabeth, Duchess in Bavaria|
- thePeerage.com - Elisabeth Christina Douglas, Countess Douglas
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Elizabeth Grevinna Douglas
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Gräfliche Häuser, Reference: 1955.