Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1803–1892)
Alexandrine, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (born Princess Alexandrine of Prussia; 23 February 1803 – 21 April 1892) was the wife and consort to Paul Frederick, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin as well as the daughter of Frederick William III of Prussia and Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
Alexandrine was the seventh child and fourth daughter of Frederick William III of Prussia and his wife Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. She was a younger sister of Frederick William IV of Prussia, Wilhelm I of Prussia, and Charlotte, Empress of Russia.
On 25 May 1822, she married Paul Frederick of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. He succeeded his grandfather as Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1837.
They had three children:
- Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg (1823–1883)
- Luise (1824–1859) married Hugo, Prince of Windisch-Grätz and had issue (Princess Marie of Windisch-Graetz)
- Wilhelm (1827–1879) married Princess Alexandrine of Prussia, daughter of Prince Albert of Prussia
Her marriage was generally considered unhappy; Paul Frederick was a military man who had little time for or interest in his wife and family. Alexandrine, by contrast, was a devoted mother who tenderly raised her children and actively cultivated their cultural pursuits. Alexandrine herself was very cultured but was also described as a stereotypically-remote German princess. She was not considered an intellectual but attended scholarly lectures and read many books.
At the time of her death, she was the last surviving grandchild of Frederick William II of Prussia.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1803–1822)
- Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1822–1837)
- Her Royal Highness The Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1837–1842)
- Her Royal Highness The Dowager Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1842–1892)
Alexandrine's ancestors in three generations
Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (1803–1892)Born: 23 February 1803 Died: 21 April 1892
Title last held byPrincess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
as Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Grand Duchess consort of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
1 February 1837 – 7 March 1842
Title next held byPrincess Augusta Reuss of Köstritz