Prince Luitpold of Bavaria (b.1951)
Prince Luitpold in July 2012
14 April 1951|
Schloß Leutstetten, Leutstetten, Bavaria
|Spouse||Katrin Beatrix Wiegand (m. 1979)|
|Father||Prince Ludwig of Bavaria|
|Mother||Princess Irmingard of Bavaria|
Prince Luitpold of Bavaria (German: Luitpold Rupprecht Heinrich Prinz von Bayern) (born 14 April 1951) is a member of the House of Wittelsbach, which reigned as kings of Bavaria until 1918, and a CEO of König Ludwig GmbH & Co. KG Schlossbrauerei Kaltenberg.
Prince Luitpold was born at Schloß Leutstetten near Starnberg, in Bavaria. He is the only surviving child of Prince Ludwig of Bavaria (1913–2008) and his wife Princess Irmingard of Bavaria (1923–2010).
On 25 June 1979 Prince Luitpold married Katrin Beatrix Wiegand, daughter of Gerd Wiegand and his wife Ellen Schumacher. The civil wedding took place at Starnberg and the religious ceremony followed a day later at the Andechs Abbey in Bavaria. Initially the union was considered morganatic, but on 3 March 1999 the marriage was declared to be dynastic . The couple had five children and four grandchildren:
- Princess Auguste Marie Philippa (born 1979), a research zoologist (working under the name Auguste M.P. von Bayern) who investigates animal cognition as a collaborator of Alex Kacelnik; she is married to Prince Ferdinand of Lippe-Weissenfeld and has a two sons:
- Prince Louis-Ferdinand Ludwig Beatus Bernhard Christopher Julio Patrick of Lippe-Weissenfeld (born 16 September 2013).
- Prince Carl-Philipp zur Lippe-Weißenfeld (born 22 December 2015)
- Princess Alice Isabella Maria (born 1981), a cognitive biology researcher and manager of the University of Vienna's Goffin Lab (working under the name Alice Auersperg); she is married to Prince Lukas of Auersperg and has a daughter and a son:
- Prince Ludwig Heinrich of Bavaria (born 1982), studied political science and law, chairman of Hilfsverein Nymphenburg, a charitable organization founded in 1964 by the royal family and the Bavarian Red Cross, with activities in development aid
- Prince Heinrich Rudolf of Bavaria (born 1986).
- Prince Karl Rupprecht of Bavaria (born 1987).
Prince Luitpold is the CEO of a brewery located at Kaltenberg Castle (König Ludwig GmbH & Co. KG Schlossbrauerei Kaltenberg) and an organizer of the annual jousting tournament at Kaltenberg. He owns the Bavarian castles of Leutstetten and Kaltenberg, in which he lives with his family.
- Leutstetten Castle
- Kaltenberg Castle
Because the current head and heir of the Royal House of Bavaria, Duke Franz and his younger brother Max, have no male offspring, Luitpold and his son Prince Ludwig are next in line to inherit representation of the House of Bavaria's historically royal legacy.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XVI. "Haus Bayern". C.A. Starke Verlag, 2001, pp. 3, 6-7,9. ISBN 978-3-7980-0824-3.
- Die Wittelsbacher. Geschichte unserer Familie. Adalbert, Prinz von Bayern. Prestel Verlag, München, 1979
Prince Luitpold of Bavaria (b.1951)Born: 14 April 1951
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to the Bavarian throne
| Succeeded by|