Prince Hermann of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1825–1901)
Prince Hermann of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach
4 August 1825|
31 August 1901 76) (aged|
|Burial||Pragfriedhof in Stuttgart|
|Spouse||Princess Augusta of Württemberg|
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Prince Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach|
|Mother||Ida of Saxe-Meiningen|
Hermann was the third son of Prince Bernard of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1792-1862) from his marriage to Ida of Saxe-Meiningen (1794–1852), the daughter of George I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen. He was a nephew of Queen Adelaide of Great Britain.
In 1840, Hermann enrolled at the military academy of Württemberg. He became a Major General and from 1859, he was commander of the Württemberg Royal Cavalry Division. He received several medals, including the Order of St. Alexander Nevsky, the Grand Cross of the Order of the White Falcon, the Order of Saint Stephen of Hungary and the Order of the Crown.
He died on 31 August 1901 and was buried at the Pragfriedhof in Stuttgart.
Marriage and issue
- Pauline (1852–1904)
- married 1873 to Hereditary Grand Duke Charles Augustus of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (1844-1894)
- Wilhelm (1853-1924)
- married in 1885 to Princess Gerta of Isenburg-Büdingen-Wächtersbach (1863-1945)
- Bernhard (1855-1907), from 1901 "Count of Crayenburg", married
- in 1900 Marie Louise Brockmüller (1866-1903)
- in 1905 Countess Elisabeth von der Schulenburg (1869-1940)
- Alexander (1857-1891)
- Ernest (1859-1909)
- Olga (1869-1924)
- married in 1902 Prince Leopold of Isenburg-Büdingen (1866-1933), eldest son of Karl, Prince of Isenburg-Büdingen.
- Staatshandbuch für das Großherzogtum Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, Weimar, 1864, p. 6 (Online)
- R. Starklof: Das Leben des Herzogs Bernhard von Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, vol. 2, Gotha, 1866, p. 74
- Titus Häussermann: Die Stuttgarter Straßennamen, Silberburg-Verlag, 2003, p. 610