Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland
|Duke of Södermanland|
Prince Alexander carried by his mother, Princess Sofia at the opening of Stockholm Palace on 6 June 2016
months 0 days)19 April 2016 (age 8|
Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
|Father||Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland|
|Mother||Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland|
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
|Swedish Royal Family|
Prince Alexander of Sweden, Duke of Södermanland (Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil; born 19 April 2016) is a Swedish prince and the only child of Prince Carl Philip and his wife Princess Sofia. He is the fifth grandchild and third grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. He is the youngest member of the Swedish Royal Family and is fifth in the line of succession to the Swedish throne.
Prince Alexander was born on 19 April 2016 at 18:25 CET at Danderyd Hospital in Danderyd, Sweden. The birth was celebrated with a 21-gun salute from Skeppsholmen in Stockholm on 20 April. His name and title were announced by King Carl XVI Gustaf on 21 April 2016 at a cabinet meeting.
A Te Deum thanksgiving service was held in the palace's Royal chapel on 22 April 2016 to celebrate the event.
Prince Alexander was christened on 9 September 2016 in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace. His godparents are his paternal aunt Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, his maternal aunt, Lina Frejd, his father's paternal cousin Victor Magnuson, Jan-Åke Hansson (who was also Prince Carl Philip's best man at his wedding) and his mother's friend Cajsa Larsson.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Alexander is styled as: His Royal Highness Prince Alexander of Sweden, Duke of Södermanland.
- Sweden: Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (RoK av KMO)
- Sweden: Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (RCXIII)
Prince Alexander's coat of arms is based on the greater coat of arms of Sweden. It features in the first and fourth quarters, the Three Crowns; in the second, the lion of the House of Bjelbo; and in the third, the griffin of the arms of Södermanland, representing the titular designation of his dukedom. In the centre, on an inescutcheon, is the dynastic arms of the House of Bernadotte. Surrounding the shield is the chain of the Order of the Seraphim, of which he had been presented with since his baptism.
|Ancestors of Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland|
- "Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip Welcome First Child". InStyle. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Announcement from the Marshal of the Realm". Royal Court of Sweden. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia have had a son". Royal Court of Sweden. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Swedish Princess Sofia gives birth to first child". The Local. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Gyllenberg, Eva-Karin (21 April 2016). "Prinsens namn blir Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil" [Prince's name is Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil]. Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- HRH Prince Alexander will be christened in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace
- Prince Alexander Christening Godparents. www.kungahuset.se .Retrieved 8 September 2016.
Prince Alexander, Duke of SödermanlandBorn: 19 April 2016
Title last held byPrince Wilhelm
|Duke of Södermanland
|Lines of succession|
Prince Carl Philip
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne
| Succeeded by|