|Comune di Portoscuso|
Torre Spagnola (Spanish Tower).
Location of Portoscuso in Sardinia
|Coordinates: 39°13′N 8°23′E / 39.217°N 8.383°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||South Sardinia|
|Frazioni||Paringianu, Brunc' 'e Teula, Portovesme|
|• Mayor||Giorgio Alimonda|
|• Total||39.1 km2 (15.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|Population (30 April 2014)|
|• Density||130/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Giovanni Battista (John the Baptist), Santa Maria d'Itria|
Portoscuso (Portescùsi in sardinian language) is a comune (municipality) in the Province of South Sardinia in the Italian region Sardinia, located about 75 kilometres (47 mi) west of Cagliari and about 14 kilometres (9 mi) northwest of Carbonia. The languages used here is Italian and Sardinian Campidanese.
Although human presecence in this territory date back to prehistoric times, the town originated in the XVII century from an hamlet inhabited by tuna and coral fishermen. It became a comune in 1853. Notable sights include the Spanish Tower (XVI century), the church of Madonna d'Itria and Arsenal (known as Su Pranu).
At Portoscuso, there is Sulcis Power Station, the largest power station of Sardinia, whose chimney is the tallest man-made structure on Sardinia.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Portoscuso.|