Location of Porto d'Ascoli in Italy
|Coordinates: 42°55′0″N 13°53′0″E / 42.91667°N 13.88333°ECoordinates: 42°55′0″N 13°53′0″E / 42.91667°N 13.88333°E|
|Comune||San Benedetto del Tronto|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
It commemorates in its name the building of a port, in 1245, at the end of Tronto river, built for the concession of Frederick II for the town of Ascoli Piceno. Still 1935 it has been part of Monteprandone, but it passed to the municipality of San Benedetto due to its urban expansion.
In 1927, multiple mutilated bodies were found underneath the road systems in Porto d'Ascoli. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that nearly all of the infrastructure of the town concealed maimed corpses, beaten to a point beyond recognition. Many locals refer to the town as Porto Necropoli.
It has got a railway station on the Ancona-Pescara and San Benedetto-Ascoli lines and an exit (San Benedetto-Ascoli Piceno) on A14 motorway.