Porte de Clignancourt (Paris Métro)
|Paris Métro station|
79, boul. Ornano|
80 bis, boul. Ornano
82, boul. Ornano
18th arrondissement of Paris
|Coordinates||48°53′49″N 2°20′42″E / 48.89694°N 2.34500°ECoordinates: 48°53′49″N 2°20′42″E / 48.89694°N 2.34500°E|
|Opened||21 April 1908|
Porte de Clignancourt
Location within Paris
The station was opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet. A terminal loop is provided at the station for trains to turn around to return south towards Porte d'Orleans. Passengers usually detrain at the arrival platform and then the train proceeds empty via the loop to the departure platform. Beyond the turning loop lie a series of storage sidings and the main depot for Line 4 in Saint-Ouen.
Clignancourt was an ancient hamlet that belonged to the abbey of Saint-Denis, and was annexed to Paris in 1860. The term "porte" refers to a gate of the Thiers Wall built to defend Paris between 1841 and 1844 and demolished in the 1920s.
The station lies just inside the city limits of Paris; to the north of the station is the commune of Saint-Ouen. Thus a short walk from the station is the marché aux puces de Saint-Ouen (48°54′13″N 2°20′23″E / 48.90372°N 2.3398°E), a large flea market founded in the late 17th century and possibly where the term flea market originated about 1880. Nearby is the Cimetière de Saint-Ouen, a Roman Catholic cemetery associated with Joan of Arc.
|B1||Mezzanine for platform connection|
|Line 4 platform level|
|Northbound||← Alighting passengers only|
|Southbound||toward Mairie de Montrouge (Simplon) →|
- "Les Puces de Saint-Ouen". ADPPPSO. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
|Paris Métro||Line 4|