This article is about the concept in physics. For other uses, see Polarity.
In physics, polarity is an attribute with two possible values. Polarity is a basic feature of the universe.
- An electric charge can have either positive or negative polarity.
- A voltage or potential difference between two points of an electric circuit has a polarity, describing which of the two points has the higher electric potential.
- A magnet has a polarity, in that it has two poles described as "north" and "south" pole.
- More generally, the polarity of an electric or magnetic field can be viewed as the sign of the vectors describing the field.
- The spin of an entity in quantum mechanics can have a polarity – parallel or anti-parallel to a given direction.