Pogonia coat of arms
|Alternative names||Borzezdarz, Zdarbożec, Zdarzbog|
The Pogonia coat of arms was firstly granted by King Władysław II Jagiełło in 1434 to Mikołaj, wójt of Lelów. It's an abatement of the Pogoń Litewska coat of arms and was granted to new members of the szlachta from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
The knights used to get distinctive badges in fights with enemies. The nobles used their coats of arms on shields, helmets, coats and flags. These badges were inherited from one generation to other. The knights were proud of deserts their ancestors. They didn't change anything in their badges except if they did some offence and were forced to change the heraldic sign on the shield. The oldest son inherited the coat of arms of family in West Europe, and must to add some special changes in it. Four versions of coat of arms Pogonia are known in heraldry. They are different in color of shield. One of them are in red, other in gold color. In the gold shield there is an armour hand from blue cloud which hold the sword. The same hand with sword rises from the helmet. The coat of arms is adorned with black bands with gold lining.
Notable bearers of this coat of arms include:
- Polish heraldry
- Coat of arms
- List of Polish nobility coats of arms
- Czartoryski coat of arms
- Pogoń Litewska
- This description is from: http://www.vambutai.eu/en/blazon_descr.htm
- Alfred Znamierowski, Paweł Dudziński: Wielka księga heraldyki. Warszawa: Świat Książki, 2008, s. 104–108. ISBN 978-83-247-0100-1.