|Coordinates: 48°42′42″N 9°24′59″E / 48.71167°N 9.41639°ECoordinates: 48°42′42″N 9°24′59″E / 48.71167°N 9.41639°E|
|• Mayor||Frank Buß|
|• Total||10.65 km2 (4.11 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
For the first time Plochingen was mentioned in 1146 as "Blochingen" in a document of Conrad III of Germany. In Plochingen were two castles, but none of them are left. Plochingen was 1698 post station on the imperial post road from Antwerp to Venice. The Fils Valley Railway came 1846 up to Plochingen, only a year after in Württemberg the line between Cannstatt and Untertürkheim had been opened. The Swabian Jura Association was founded in 1888 in the still existing restaurant Waldhorn. on 1 June 1913 a tornado destroyed numerous buildings in Plochingen. On April 13, 1948, the municipality of Plochingen became a town. On 12 July 1968, was the inauguration of the Neckar harbor Plochingen. Since the beginning of the S-Bahn Stuttgart traffic on 1 October 1978, the vehicles are technically maintained and cleaned in the depot Plochingen. 1998 Plochingen hosted the Landesgartenschau of Baden-Württemberg.
Plochingen is one of the main stations on line one (S1) of the Stuttgart S-Bahn. The Fils Valley Railway, part of the connection from Stuttgart to Munich, runs through Plochingen, with the Neckar-Alb Railway to Tübingen starting here. The public transport here is good, so that even on weekends bus and train connections are very frequent.
Close to the railway station is a Hundertwasserhaus, designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser and built in 1992. As this house should "not disturb the traditional skyline of the town", the house is rather conventional on the outside, which is unlike other Hundertwasserhauses. However, there is a single, significant tower in a style typical of Hundertwasser visible from outside the complex. The interior court evokes a typical Hundertwasser style. The courtyard also features a cafe.
Close to the Railway station is located the office of the Automotive giant BOSCH. Many people travel to Plochingen every morning for their work. Also near the Railway station, there is another company, Ceramtec.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Plochingen is twinned with:
Notable people from Plochingen
- Christian Friedrich Löw (1778–1843), Schultheiß in Beuren, Member of Landtag
- Ferdinand Huttenlocher (1856–1925), Sculptor and painter
- Heinz Mauser (1919–1995), chemist and professor
- Gotthilf Fischer (born 1928), Chorleiter, bekannt durch die von ihm gegründeten Fischer-Chöre
- Werner Niefer (1928–1993), manager in car industry Mercedes-Benz
- Gerhard Mahler (1930–1996), entrepreneur and politician (CDU), former Member of Landtag
- Egon Eigenthaler (de) (born 1938), advertising graphic designer, politician (Republikaner), Member of Landtag
- Siegfried K. Wiedmann (born 1938), electrical engineer
- Herbert Henzler (born 1941), former manager of McKinsey (1985–1999)
- Thomas Franz (born 1953), major general of German Lufwaffe
- Jürgen Resch (born 1960), business executive of Deutschen Umwelthilfe
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland nach Fläche, Bevölkerung und Postleitzahl am 30.09.2016". Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Burgen und Schlösser des Landkreises Esslingen
- Stadt Plochingen – Aus der Geschichte. Retrieved 15. January 2013.
- Official website (German)