Plaza de Colón
Plaza de Colón (Columbus Square, in English) is located in the encounter of Chamberí, Centro and Salamanca districts of Madrid, Spain. This plaza and its fountain commemorate the explorer Christopher Columbus, whose name in Spanish was Cristóbal Colón.
The plaza, originally called "Plaza de Santiago" (St. James Square), was renamed "Plaza de Colón" in 1893 to honour Christopher Columbus. The square contains two monuments.
On the Paseo de la Castellana (Promenade of the Castilian) side there is a monument to Columbus built in 1885. This is a statue of Columbus standing at the pinnacle of a tall column.
The second monument on the Serrano Street. side consists of concrete macro-sculptures by Joaquín Vaquero Turcios. The concrete blocks are decorated with inscriptions by philosophers and indigenous leaders.
Since Spain's National Day in 2001, the world's largest Spanish flag—14m x 21m (46 x 69 ft)—294 square meters (3164 square feet)—has flown from a flagpole in Plaza de Colón that is 50 m (164 ft) high.
At the base of the Columbus monument is a large fountain with a broad cascade of water. There are steps leading under the cascade and beneath the plaza, where the roar of the fountain is amplified. Under the plaza along with the Centro Cultural de la Villa de Madrid (Madrid City Cultural Centre) lies a stop for a special shuttle that takes passengers to Barajas Airport.
- Zonaretiro.com. "La bandera de España de 300 metros cuadrados de Colón se cae al suelo | zonaretiro.com". zonaretiro.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Món, El. "La Guàrdia Civil hissarà demà una bandera espanyola de 400.000 euros". El Món. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plaza de Colón, Madrid.|