|Comune di Pizzone|
Location of the village of Pizzone within the province of Isernia
Location of Pizzone in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°40′N 14°2′E / 41.667°N 14.033°ECoordinates: 41°40′N 14°2′E / 41.667°N 14.033°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Province of Isernia (IS)|
|Frazioni||Ara Antica, Aramerdiara, Ommaro, Pagliarone|
|• Mayor||Letizia Di Iorio|
|• Total||33.1 km2 (12.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||730 m (2,400 ft)|
|• Density||9.9/km2 (26/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Saint day||June 10|
Pizzone is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Isernia in the Italian region Molise, about 50 kilometres (31 mi) west of Campobasso and about 20 kilometres (12 mi) northwest of Isernia near the Monti della Meta chain.
The area around Pizzone has been inhabited since the Neolithic period, as proved by a series of lithic artifacts discovered in their respective state and currently held in a museum of Campobasso.
The rocky area around Pizzone was part of a thoroughfare that ran through the Mainardi mountains. During the Samnite period, this area took on additional importance this way, linking the commercial and military touti separated by the mountains. The road, reaching S. Vito di Colli, Cerro, and crossing the path of S. Francesco, came up to Aufidena, now Alfedena. The road was certainly used by the Roman militia during the Samnite wars of the fourth century BC.
In Pizzone's case, as for most other villages and boroughs in the valley, the first histories of the area were described in the Volturnense Chronicle. A few decades after the destruction at the hand of the Arab invasions of 881 AD, and at the time of the reconstruction of the Abbey of S. Vincenzo al Volturno, Fr. Raimbaldi, overlord of the area, decided to start populating the area between 935 and 981 with settlers from the land of the Marsi to which the Abbey gave plots for 29 years. The villages of Jannini, Roccasecca, Cerquacupa, and Viscurri were created from this; some of their ruins still remain.
Charles II of Anjou granted Pizzone autonomy from the jurisdiction of the Abbey by a decree of 13 October 1295 and the village was assigned as a fief to Andrea of Isernia. After the death of Andrea in 1316, Pizzonia (earlier Latin Piczotum) was incorporated into Abruzzo Citra (now the Province of Chieti), as shown by Regesti Angevin in 1320. In 1383 the monks had to sell more land around the Castrum Piczoni in order to restore the abbey.
According to various sources, the feudal overlords of Pizzone were the Leoness afamily in the first half of the 14th century, while in the later half the Caldora family took over. Between the 15th and 16th centuries, it became a fief of Pando, who already lorded Venafro, and was later possessed by the Marquis de Bucchis; in 1777 it passed on to Domenico Cestari and finally to the Marquis Pietro Battiloro.
With the abolition of feudalism in 1809 began a long series of mayors. By a decree of 17 February 1861 Pizzone became incorporated into the Region of Molise and later with the creation of the National Park of Abruzzo in 1929.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.