|Città di Pistoia|
The bell tower of the cathedral in Piazza Duomo
Pistoia within the Province of Pistoia
Location of Pistoia in Italy
|Coordinates: IT 43°56′N 10°55′E / 43.933°N 10.917°ECoordinates: IT 43°56′N 10°55′E / 43.933°N 10.917°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Pistoia (PT)|
|• Mayor||Samuele Bertinelli (PD)|
|• Total||236.17 km2 (91.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||65 m (213 ft)|
|Population (31 July 2013)|
|• Density||380/km2 (990/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Jacopo|
|Saint day||July 25|
Pistoia (Italian pronunciation: [piˈstoːja]) is a city and comune in the Italian region of Tuscany, the capital of a province of the same name, located about 30 kilometres (19 mi) west and north of Florence and is crossed by the Ombrone Pistoiese, a tributary of the River Arno. It is a typical Italian medieval city, and it attracts many tourists, especially in the summer.
Pistoria (in Latin other possible spellings are Pistorium or Pistoriae) was a centre of Gallic, Ligurian and Etruscan settlements before becoming a Roman colony in the 6th century BC, along the important road Via Cassia: in 62 BC the demagogue Catiline and his fellow conspirators were slain nearby. From the 5th century the city was a bishopric, and during the Lombardic kingdom it was a royal city and had several privileges. Pistoia's most splendid age began in 1177 when it proclaimed itself a free commune: in the following years it became an important political centre, erecting walls and several public and religious buildings.
In 1254 the taking of Ghibelline Pistoia by Guelph Florence, was among the origins of the division of the Florentine Guelphs into "Black" and "White" factions. Pistoia remained a Florentine holding except for a brief period in the 14th century, when Castruccio Castracani captured it for Lucca, and was officially annexed to Florence in 1530. During the 14th century Ormanno Tedici was one of the Lords of the city. Dante mentioned in his Divina Commedia the free town of Pistoia as the home town of Vanni Fucci, who is encountered in Inferno tangled up in a knot of snakes while cursing God.
One of the most famous families of the city was that of the Rospigliosi, owners of agricultural estates and wool merchants; the Rospighliosi provided a pope in 1667 with Giulio Rospigliosi, who briefly reigned as Clement IX (1667–69), and gave several cardinals to the church.
In 1786 a famous Jansenist episcopal synod was convened in Pistoia.
According to one theory, Pistoia lent its name to the pistol, which started to be manufactured in Pistoia during the 16th century. But today, it is also notable for the extensive plant nurseries spreading around it. Consequently, Pistoia is also famous for its flower markets, as is the nearby Pescia.
Pistoia borders with the municipalities of Agliana, Alto Reno Terme (BO), Cantagallo (PO), Lizzano in Belvedere (BO), Marliana, Montale, Piteglio, Quarrata, Sambuca Pistoiese, San Marcello Pistoiese and Serravalle Pistoiese.
|Sant'Alessio in Bigiano|
|Badia a Pacciana|
|Villa di Baggio|
|Castagno di Piteccio|
|Casa Nuove di Masiano|
|San Pierino Casa al Vescovo|
|Villanova di Valdibrana|
Although not as visited as other cities in Tuscany, mostly due to the city's industrial environs, Pistoia presents a well-preserved and charming medieval city inside the old walls.
Piazza del Duomo
The large Piazza del Duomo, dominated by the cathedral, is lined with other medieval buildings, such as the Palazzo del Comune and the Palazzo del Podestà: it is the setting (in July) of the Giostra dell'Orso ("Bear Joust"), when the best horsemen of the city's traditional quarters tilt with lances at a target held up by a dummy shaped like a bear.
The original Cathedral of San Zeno (5th century) burned down in 1108, but was rebuilt during the 12th century, and received incremental improvements until the 17th century. The façade has a prominent Romanesque style, while the interior received heavy Baroque additions which were removed during the 1960s. Its outstanding feature is the Altar of St James, an exemplar of the silversmith's craft begun in 1287 but not finished until the 15th century. Its various sections contain 628 figures, the total weighing nearly a ton. The Romanesque belfry, standing at some 67 metres (220 ft), was erected over an ancient Lombard tower.
The Palazzo dei Vescovi ("Bishops' Palace"), is characterized by a Gothic loggiato on the first floor. It is known from 1091, initially as a fortified noble residence. In the 12th century it received a more decorated appearance, with mullioned windows and frescoes, of which traces remain. It was later modified in the mid-12th (when the St. James Chapel, mentioned by Dante Alighieri in the XXIV canto of his Inferno) and in the 13th century; to the latter restoration belongs the white marble-decorated staircase, one of the most ancient examples in Italy in civil architecture. In the 14th century, the Chapel of St. Nicholas was decorated with stories of the namesake saint and other martyrs.
The Tower of Catilina is from the High Middle Ages, and stands 30 metres (98 ft) high.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Humility (Madonna dell'Umiltà) (1509), finished by Giorgio Vasari with a 59-metre (194 ft) high cupola. The original project was by Giuliano da Sangallo, but works were begun in 1495 by Ventura Vitoni. The dome was commissioned by Cosimo I de' Medici to Vasari, the lantern begin completed in 1568 and the church consecrated in 1582. In the apse is a painting by Bernardino del Signoraccio (1493).
- Santissima Annunziata, baroque church famous for its Chiostro dei Morti ("Cloister of the Dead").
- San Bartolomeo in Pantano (12th century).
- San Giovanni Battista (15th century). Damaged during World War II bombardments, it is now used as an exhibition center.
- San Giovanni Battista al Tempio (11th century), owned for a while by the Templar and then by the Hospitaller Knights.
- San Benedetto (14th century, restored in 1630). It houses a 1390 Annunciation by Giovanni di Bartolomeo Cristiani, a 16th-century Forentine school St. Benedict with the Redeemer and, in the cloister, Histories of the Order of the Knights of St. Benedict by Giovan Battista Vanni (1660).
- San Domenico.
- Franciscan church of San Francesco (begun in 1289). It has an unfinished façade with bichrome marble decoration. It has frescoes with Histories of St. Francis in the main chapel and other 14th–15th centuries frescoes.
- San Giovanni Fuoricivitas (12th–14th century) Romanesque church
- San Leone, built in the 14th century but enlarged in the 16th–18th centuries. Its Baroque-Roccoco interior houses some notable canvasses by artists such as Giovanni Lanfranco, Stefano Marucelli and Vincenzo Meucci.
- Santa Maria delle Grazie'.
- Santa Maria in Ripalta, mentioned from the 11th century. It houses a large Ascension fresco in the apse, attributed to Manfredino d'Alberto (1274).
- San Paolo.
- San Pier Maggiore'.
- Pieve di Sant'Andrea', housing Giovanni Pisano's Pulpit of St. Andrew.
- Pieve of San Michele in Groppoli, ancient chapel in the neighbourhood of the city.
- La Vergine.
- The 14th-century walls. These had originally four gates, Porta al Borgo, Porta San Marco, Porta Carratica and Porta Lucchese, all demolished at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Ospedale del Ceppo (13th century).
- Palazzo Panciatichi
- The Monument in Honour of Brazilians (Soldiers and Pilots) killed in action during the Italian Campaign of World War II
- The Medici Fortress of Santa Barbara, built a first time in 1331 century by the Florentines, but destroyed by the Pistoiese citizens in 1343. It was rebuilt by order of Cosimo I de' Medici from 1539, and later enlarged by Bernardo Buontalenti. It sustained one single siege by the Barberini troops in 1643, before being disarmed by Grand Duke Peter Leopold in 1734. Later it was used as barracks and military jail, while today it serves as a venue for cinema shows during the summer.
- Accademia dei Risvegliati
- Brazilian Military Cemetery of Pistoia
Pistoia is twinned with:
- Oneşti, Bacău County, Romania
- Kruševac, Serbia
- Pau, France (1975)
- Zittau, Germany
- Shirakawa, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
- Pistoia Blues, an international music festival held since 1980. It is one of the most important European blues festivals. Artists such as B.B. King, Bob Dylan and David Bowie have attended and performed at the festival.
- Giostra dell'Orso ("Joust of the Bear"), a ceremony that is mentioned even in a chronicle dating back to 1300, when a dozen riders organized a ritual combat against a bear. Despite many changes, this traditional ceremony was staged every year until 1666, when the abandonment was recorded by the ritual celebration of the people. It was restarted in 1947, and takes place on July 25.
- David Herlihy. Medieval and Renaissance Pistoia: the social history of an Italian town. New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 1967.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pistoia.|
- Comune of Pistoia
- Pistoia Tourist Consortium: lots of information and city map download
- Pistoia Blues Festival
- Virtual Tour of the City
- Pistoia Travel Guide