|Comune di Piglio|
Location of Piglio in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°50′N 13°9′E / 41.833°N 13.150°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Frosinone (FR)|
|• Mayor||Mario Felli|
|• Total||35.2 km2 (13.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||620 m (2,030 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||140/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Lawrence|
|Saint day||12 August|
Piglio is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Frosinone in the Italian region Lazio, located about 50 kilometres (31 mi) east of Rome and about 30 kilometres (19 mi) northwest of Frosinone, offering a panoramic view on the valleys of the Sacco and Aniene rivers.
In 1088 it is mentioned as Castrum Pileum; according to a legend, the name would stem from the Latin pileum, the helmet of Roman general Quintus Fabius Maximus. In that period it depended from the bishop of Anagni and, from the late 12th century, it was first a fief of the De Pileo and then of the De Antiochia families. In 1347 it was captured by Cola di Rienzo and, from the late 14th century, it was under the Colonna family, who held it until 1816. In 1656 the town was decimated by plague.
- Colonna Castle, probably dating to the early 11th century. The lower part, better preserved, is from the 14th century.
- Church of Santa Maria Maggiore (13th century), destroyed in 1944 and remade in Baroque style afterwards.
- Church of San Rocco, with a 15th-century fresco of Madonna, St. Lawrence and Saints.
- Church of St. Lawrence, remade in 1773 and again in 1954.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.