Peter Heather (born 1960) is a historian of Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages, currently Professor of Medieval History at King's College London. He has held appointments at University College London and Yale University and was Fellow and Tutor in Medieval History at Worcester College, Oxford until December 2007. He joined the History Department of King's College London in January 2008. Heather was born in Northern Ireland in 1960. He was educated at Maidstone Grammar School and New College, Oxford (MA, DPhil).
Select list of publications
- Peter Heather, The Goths and the Balkans, A.D. 350-500 (University of Oxford DPhil thesis 1987)
- Peter Heather and John Matthews, The Goths in the Fourth Century (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1991)
- Peter Heather, Goths and Romans 332-489 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1991)
- Peter Heather, 'The Huns and the End of the Roman Empire in Western Europe', English Historical Review cx (1995), pp. 4-41
- Peter Heather, The Goths (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 1996)
- Peter Heather, ed., The Visigoths from the Migration Period to the Seventh Century: an ethnographic perspective (Woodbridge: Boydell, 1999)
- Peter Heather, 'The Late Roman Art of Client Management: Imperial Defence in the Fourth Century West' in Walter Pohl, Ian Wood, and Helmut Reimitz, eds., The Transformation of Frontiers: From Late Antiquity to the Carolingians (Leiden; Boston: Brill Publishers, 2001), pp. 15-68
- Peter Heather, 'State, Lordship and Community in the West (c.AD 400-600)' in Averil Cameron, Bryan Ward-Perkins, and Michael Whitby, eds., The Cambridge Ancient History, Volume xiv, Late Antiquity: Empire and Successors, A.D. 425-600 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000), pp. 437-468
- Peter Heather, The Fall of the Roman Empire: a New History of Rome and the Barbarians (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005)
- Peter Heather, Empires and Barbarians: Migration, Development and the Birth of Europe (London: Macmillan, 2009)
- Peter Heather, The Restoration of Rome : Barbarian Popes and Imperial Pretenders (London ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2014)
- "Professor Peter Heather :Academic staff :King's College London". King's College London. Retrieved 2010-01-22.
- The Fall of the Roman Empire, Guardian review by John Man, December 17 2005