General view of Penáguila
Location of Penáguila in Spain
|Coordinates: 38°40′45″N 0°21′33″W / 38.67917°N 0.35917°WCoordinates: 38°40′45″N 0°21′33″W / 38.67917°N 0.35917°W|
|Autonomous Community||Valencian Community|
|• Mayor||Carlos Blanes Gisbert (PP)|
alacantí, -ina (va)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+34 (ES) + 96 (A)|
Located at the foot of the Sierra de Penáguila in Pre-Baetic Valencian domain, the municipality extends from Morro Ull (1050 m), west to the top of the Creueta, east, forming part of the northern slopes of the Sierra de Aitana and open to the pit of Alcoy. The term river running through Frainós or Penáguila, east of the town, which flows into the river Alcoy Serpis or when it reaches Cocentaina.
Of Muslim origin, the villa was totally walled, and currently some ruins of the walls and towers remain.
On April 8, 1276, James I promised Lacerates Berenguer Mayor Penáguila Castle, divide the lands of the same men who guard it strength. On September 26, 1278, Peter III granted Penáguila a town charter. In 1338, Pedro of Aragon ordered the fortification of the castle. During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the manor belonged to the Fenollar family before it became part of the crown. Penáguila was a royal town with voting rights in the courts.
In contrary to other places in the area, Penáguila consisted of a largely Christian population, so the decree of expulsion of the Moors, in 1609, was a not important to its demographics: the 200 homes registered before expulsion were reduced to 145, and did not involve an excessive loss.
A little more than half of the municipal area is cropland (54%), the other half is forest land (46%). The breeding ground is practically all of dry (2,480 ha), where the predominant olive (over 1,400 ha), there are also almond (365 ha) and minor surfaces fruit trees (peaches, plums, apples). Irrigation is minimal (41 ha) and is dedicated to horticultural crops and a variety of fruit. Agricultural activities are organized in cooperative farmers Virgen del Patrocinio.
- Índice estadístico municipal de Penáguila (Unidad de Documentación de la Diputación de Alicante).
- Penáguila en el Registro de Entidades Locales de la Generalidad Valenciana
- Blog de Penàguila Blog acerca de Penàguila, con numerosas fotografías históricas y reportajes del municipio.
Categoría:Localidades de la provincia de Alicante Categoría:Municipios de la provincia de Alicante