Durcan was born in Westport, County Mayo in 1951, and was educated at University College Dublin. He worked as a solicitor from 1973 and sat as a member of Mayo County Council from 1979 to 2004, and also as a member of Westport town council. Durcan stood for Dáil Éireann as the running mate of future Taoiseach Enda Kenny in Mayo West at the 1981, February 1982, November 1982 and 1987 general elections, but was unsuccessful on each occasion. He served as a Senator in Seanad Éireann from 1982 to 1987. Durcan was nominated by Taoiseach Garret FitzGerald. He was appointed a district judge in November 2011.
- "Mr. Patrick Durcan". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Appointments to the District Court". Department of the Taoiseach. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Kenny appoints former running mate as a judge". Irish Independent. 2 November 2011.
- "FG Stalwart sees a bright future for Ireland under Kenny". The Mayo News. 1 March 2011.
- "Patrick Durcan". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 17 November 2012.