Walker in 2013
|President of the Senate|
11 March 2015 – 15 March 2016
|Preceded by||Isabel Allende|
|Succeeded by||Ricardo Lagos Weber|
|Member of the Senate|
Assumed office |
11 March 2010
|President of the Chamber of Deputies|
March 2007 – March 2008
|Preceded by||Antonio Leal|
|Succeeded by||Juan Bustos|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
1998 – 11 March 2010
28 April 1969|
|Political party||Christian Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||Diego Portales University|
Patricio Walker Prieto (born 28 April 1969) is a Chilean politician. He was President of the Senate between 11 March 2015 and 15 March 2016. He has been member of the Senate since 2010. Between 2007 and 2008 he was President of the Chamber of Deputies of Chile. He was member of the Chamber of Deputies between 1998 and 2010. Walker is member of the Christian Democratic Party.
Walker was born on 28 April 1969 in Santiago to Ignacio Joaquín Walker Concha and Isabel Margarita Prieto Vial. He had his primary education at the Colegio San Ignacio in Santiagio between 1974 and 1983. He follwed his secondary education at the Colegio Pontificio Seminario Menor from 1984 to 1987. The next year he became a law student at Diego Portales University where he obtained a degree in 1994.
In the parliamentary elections of 1997, 2001 and 2005 Walker was elected for the Christian Democratic Party to the Chamber of Deputies for District 8 of the Coquimbo Region. Walker served as fraction leader of the Christian Democratic Party from 2002 to 2003. Between March 2007 and March 2008 Walker was President of the Chamber of Deputies.
In the parliamentary elections of 2009 Walker was elected Senator for the 18th Circunscription of Aysén. He was elected President of the Senate on 11 March 2015. He obtained 23 out of 38 votes and succeeded Isabel Allende.
In July 2015 Walker spoke out against a possible return to compulsory voting in Chile, calling the remedy possibly worse than the problem. Walker travelled to Venezuela for the 2015 parliamentary elections as an observer. He spoke with Lilian Tintori, wife of imprisoned politician Leopoldo López. Walker supported the couple and stated there was no crime and fraudulent evidence.
Walker was succeeded as President of the Senate on 15 March 2016 by Ricardo Lagos Weber.
Walker is married and has three children. He has eight siblings, including politicians Ignacio Walker and Matías Walker. He is a grandchild of Horacio Walker, his great-grandfather is Joaquín Walker Martínez.
- "Reseña Biográfica Parlamentaria Patricio Walker Prieto" (in Spanish). Historia Política Legislativa del Congreso Nacional de Chile. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Currículum Senador Patricio Walker Prieto" (in Spanish). Senate of Chile. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Patricio Walker Prieto - Senador" (in Spanish). Senate of Chile. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Patricio Walker reemplazará a Isabel Allende en la presidencia del Senado" (in Spanish). El Mostrador. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Génesis Moreno (2 July 2015). "Patricio Walker por voto obligatorio: "El remedio puede ser peor que la enfermedad"" (in Spanish). Emol. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Patricio Walker por detención de Leopoldo López: "hubo una prueba fraudulenta que se inventó"" (in Spanish). 24Horas. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Patricio Walker deja el cargo y Ricardo Lagos Weber asume como nuevo presidente del Senado" (in Spanish). La Tercera. 15 March 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2016.