The Panum Building (formerly referred to as the Panum Institute) is a large building complex that is part of the University of Copenhagen's North Campus in Copenhagen, Denmark. It houses the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences. This includes the Dental School and the former Faculty of Medicine as well as The School of Oral Health Care and The School for Dental Technicians.
The Panum Building has many facilities including a library, two canteens, lecture theatres, offices, student clubs and a bookshop. The Panum Building also houses the largest dental clinic in Denmark with approximately 230 treatment chairs. The building was named after Danish physiologist Peter Ludvig Panum (1820–1885).
The Panum Building was built from 1971–1986 by the architects Eva and Nils Koppel, Gert Edstrand, Poul Erik Thyrring and reflects Brutalism. The outside areas were designed by landscape architects Edith and Ole Nørgård. The artistic decoration and color schemes – eg. the characteristic chimneys – were envisioned by Tonning Rasmussen. In parts of the basement, there are murals made by Poul Gernes.
In 2012, construction began on an extension of Panum, called the Maersk Building. It is expected to be completed in 2016. The Panum complex will grow from 105 000 square meters to 140 000 square meters. The approximately 42 700 new square meters will primarily be dedicated to research and educational activities, canteen and bicycle parking facilities. First, 7 700 square meters will be demolished to accommodate a new forecourt with a main entrance, new park areas and a doubling of the bicycle parking facilities.
The new building will rise to a height of 75 meters, slightly higher than Rigshospitalet's helipad at 71 meters. On the top floor of the Maersk Building, there will be public access to an observation platform.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Panum Building.|