The Palazzo Gabrielli-Borromeo is a palazzo in Rome, Italy. It is located on Via del Seminario, between piazza di Sant'Ignazio and the Pantheon in the ancient Campus Martius and in the second sector of the present-day Colonna rione, not far from Via del Corso.
The first palazzo on the site was built by the Gabrielli family, counts of Gubbio, whilst its second name derives from its rebuilding and redecoration by cardinal Vitaliano Borromeo for use by the Jesuits. The Jesuits in 1605 paid 20,000 scudi for the palace to use as a Seminary. The Jesuit order was suppressed during the papacy of Clement XIV. In 1774, the Monte di Pietà of Rome purchased the palace for 32,000 scudi. In 1796, it was given to the fabbrica di San Pietro, however by 1824, it was returned to the Jesuit order. During the 19th century, the palace ownership changed hands a number of times. Since 1853, it has been attached to Roman Catholic colleges in the city, since 1930 it has been the site of the Jesuit postgraduate institution for Jesuits, the Collegio Bellarmino. The church of San Macuto is accessed from the courtyard.
- Guide rionali di Roma. Rione III- Colonna. Parte II., a cura di Carlo Pietrangeli, Fratelli Palombi Editori, Roma, 1982.
- L'inaugurazione della nuova sede, Pontificia Università Gregoriana, Roma, 1930.
- L'Università Gregoriana del Collegio romano nel primo secolo dalla restituzione. Tipografia Cuggiani, Roma.
- Derived from Italian Wikipedia entry.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palazzo Gabrielli Borromeo (Rome).|