Fortuny Museum

Palazzo Fortuny
Established 1956
Location San Marco 3958,
30124 Venice, Italy
Type Art museum, Historic site
Director Daniela Ferretti
Facade of the Palazzo Fortuny.
Painting of Montserrat by Marià Fortuny (1838–1874).

The Palazzo Fortuny is an art museum in San Marco, Venice, Italy.

Once owned by the Pesaro family, this Gothic building in Campo San Beneto, near the church of the same name, was transformed by Mariano Fortuny into his own photography, stage-design, textile-design and painting atelier. For a time, the palace was known as the Palazzo Orfei after an 18th-century tenant, a musical society known as the Accademia d'Orfeo.[1] The building maintains the structure created by Fortuny, as well as its collections. The building was donated to the city in 1956 by Henriette Nigrin, Mariano’s widow. The collections within the museum comprise an extensive number of pieces which reflect the various fields investigated by the artist.

The museum is run by the Fondazione Musei Civici Venezia (MUVE).


Temporary exhibitions

The museum is currently open only on the occasion of temporary exhibitions.

See also


  1. The old Venetian palaces and old Venetian folk, By Thomas Okey (1907), page 89.
  2. Paolo Bolpagni, Fortuny e Wagner. Il wagnerismo nelle arti visive in Italia, Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia - Skira, Venezia-Milano, 2012.
  3. "Mostra Beatrice Helg Risonanze". Retrieved 15 February 2016.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palazzo Fortuny (Venice).

Coordinates: 45°26′08″N 12°19′56″E / 45.43556°N 12.33222°E / 45.43556; 12.33222

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/1/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.