Palacio Legislativo (Uruguay)
|Architectural style||Neo-classical architecture|
|Owner||General Assembly of Uruguay|
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||G. y M. Debernardis|
The construction of this building started in 1904 sponsored by the government of President José Batlle y Ordoñez. The building has 27 different colors of Marble. All from extracted from Uruguayan quarries.
It was designed by Italian architects Vittorio Meano and Gaetano Moretti, who planned the building's interior that is covered with marble. Among the notable contributors to the project was sculptor José Belloni, who created numerous reliefs and allegorical sculptures for the building.
The building was inaugurated on August 25th, 1925 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. The inauguration was presided over by President José Serrato; before then, the Uruguayan parliament assembled at the Montevideo Cabildo."
National Historic Monument
The building was declared a National Historic Monument in 1975 by the government of President Juan María Bordaberry.
- General Assembly of Uruguay
- Chamber of Deputies of Uruguay
- Senate of Uruguay
- Vittorio Meano#Montevideo: work oon Legislative Palace
- Historia del Edificio'Poder Legislativo
- Historia en imágenes
- http://www.palaciolegislativo.com.uy/ Missing or empty